1. silicon valley
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 08:18
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=amjn_0feDpcM

Marxist Professors Are Gift to Climate Skeptics: Kevin Hassett
    Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A Commentary by Kevin Hassett

Dec. 21 (Bloomberg)

Damning Survey

A 2007 survey of more than 1,400 professors by sociologists Neil Gross of Harvard University and Solon Simmons of George Mason University is as damning an indictment of an organization as you are ever likely to see.

The authors compiled the political affiliation and beliefs of the professors, who were asked to identify themselves along a spectrum from very liberal to very conservative. Across all fields, 44 percent identified themselves as liberal or very liberal, while 9.2 percent identified themselves as conservative or very conservative.

Strikingly, the data were even more tilted in the physical and biological sciences. There, 45.2 percent of professors identified themselves as liberal, while only 8 percent said they were conservative.

The authors dug deeper than many previous studies and established some startling findings.

In the social sciences, 24 percent of professors identified themselves as liberal “radicals” and 18 percent as Marxists. Only 4.9 percent of social scientists identified themselves as “conservative.”

Marxists Everywhere

So there are almost five times as many self-identified liberal radicals on our faculties, and more than three times as many Marxists as there are conservatives. Last I checked, Marxism has been utterly discredited. Yet there are still Marxists everywhere, poisoning the minds of our children. Conservatives, on the other hand, are a rarity.

While there isn’t enough data to address the question, it is safe to assume that no other profession is so tilted. In a society about evenly split between liberals and conservatives, achieving such a bias requires serious effort. It doesn’t happen by accident.

If you want to run conservatives out, you need to discourage dissertations that might reach conservative conclusions. You need to shun young students if their work questions liberal orthodoxy. You need to control the academic journals, rejecting papers submitted by identifiable conservatives.

Political Bias

You need to celebrate work that supports the political bias of Democrats. If your research shows that higher minimum wages are terrific, an endowed chair is yours for the taking. Question whether a higher minimum wage might cause higher unemployment, and find your place on the bread line.

For years, I have watched the economic community act this way. The hacked East Anglia e-mails confirm that exactly this type of conspiracy is in place. They show climate experts plotting how to keep the lid on research that didn’t support the prevailing view on global warming. In one e-mail, Michael Mann of Penn State University proposed boycotting an academic journal because it had published an article that provided evidence contrary to global warming canon.

Small wonder that our academic system can no longer claim the authority necessary to drive policy. The distrust that the academic community has rightly earned is devastating for society. We have lost the only institution that could deliver the widely acknowledged facts upon which rational policy could be based.

2. Germany
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 08:322 edits
    Professors tend to be better educated, so they tend to be more liberal (in the American sense of the word). No surprise there. Physicists are of course the smartest, so they tend to be the most "liberal" (again, no surprise, especially considering the high prevalence of atheism among physicists and biologists). Surprising to see so many self-identified Marxists in the social sciences though. Not sure why that is, maybe it shows the social sciences still need to grow up. I wonder what the figure would be like around here, where sympathy for communism appears to be limited to 15-year old teenagers with Che Guevara T-shirts.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 08:563 edits
    Spot on, KN.

Sadly, the U.S. does not have more educated people (aka liberal) than those shown.

As for what you comment of marxists in the social sciences, I just want to point
    out that social analysis from the marxist point of view is a very fashionable (and
    useful) method of research. I do not know if sociology professors claiming to be
    marxists are more than mere 'academic marxists', i,e, not necessarily
    sympathizers of the flawed human politicl catastrophes associated with marxism.

P.S. It is so sickening to read how easily people (usually gringos) mix liberalism
    with marxism, satanism, lesbianism, and any other 'ism' sounding 'evil'.
    This is, of course, product of ignorance. As soon as someone is not
    holding a Bible, kissing Reagan's photo and condemning gay marriage, it is
    automatically a marxist-leninist baby eater with Democratic party membership.

People who have an education usually tend to be more open to progress, new
    ideas, and tolerant. Of course, on the other hand, there are the clones of Bush,
    who see the world in terms of "if not with me, then against me"
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 08:57
    I'm being trained to be a teacher and let me tell you radical Marxism is thriving in education.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 09:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm being trained to be a teacher and let me tell you radical Marxism is thriving in education.
    I'm not sure which of the two things you're telling us here is worse.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 09:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm not sure which of the two things you're telling us here is worse.
    That a member of RHP will be a teacher or that he is actually being trained for it?
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 14:12
    Originally posted by zeeblebot

Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A Commentary by Kevin Hassett

Dec. 21 (Bloomberg)

Damning Survey

A 2007 survey of more than 1,400 professors by sociologists Neil Gross of Har ...[text shortened]... t could deliver the widely acknowledged facts upon which rational policy could be based.

I'm with KazetNagorra: professors are smart, therefore on the left.
  8. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 16:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Professors tend to be better educated, so they tend to be more liberal (in the American sense of the word). No surprise there. Physicists are of course the smartest, so they tend to be the most "liberal" (again, no surprise, especially considering the high prevalence of atheism among physicists and biologists). Surprising to see so many self-identified ...[text shortened]... mpathy for communism appears to be limited to 15-year old teenagers with Che Guevara T-shirts.
    i think you're missing the point - the real reason more professors are liberal is the vast left-wing conspiracy alluded to in the OP. this preponderance of left-wing profs is probably a post WW2 phenomenon, btw - in which case, the left-wing = more intelligent equation is even further undermined.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 16:37
    Small wonder that our academic system can no longer claim the authority necessary to drive policy. The distrust that the academic community has rightly earned is devastating for society. We have lost the only institution that could deliver the widely acknowledged facts upon which rational policy could be based. ...
    Oh Lord ...coming to a mall near you...Fox College, do a degree while doing a job in the very same place that will one day employ you. Study under and gain experience from Professors Emeritus Beck and O'Reilly and let them help you put the b back in ull shirt and ias.
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 16:441 edit

Dec. 21 (Bloomberg)

Damning Survey

A 2007 survey of more than 1,400 professors by sociologists Neil Gross of Har ...[text shortened]... t could deliver the widely acknowledged facts upon which rational policy could be based.

I wonder if you would be similarly alarmed to discover that big business was filled with more than 18% randians? These days, marxism is a philosophical position about as dangerous in education as vegetarianism. Meanwhile the randian infection just about brought down western civilization (and may yet.) Have you started quivering with fear? Give 'em another 40 years... and you'll be shivering in a cave.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 17:50
    Professors tend to be better educated, so they tend to be more liberal (in the American sense of the word). No surprise there. Physicists are of course the smartest, so they tend to be the most "liberal" (again, no surprise, especially considering the high prevalence of atheism among physicists and biologists). Surprising to see so many self-identified ...[text shortened]... mpathy for communism appears to be limited to 15-year old teenagers with Che Guevara T-shirts.
    There's no link between education and whether someone is conservative or liberal.
    Physicists may be good at what they do, but that doesn't give them any authority over people who are specilized in other areas, the fact that the majority is atheist only goes to show that physicists are completely clueless about things they don't find in a science book.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    There's no link between education and whether someone is conservative or liberal.
    Yes, there is. Doesn't the poll in question also confirm this?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 18:14
    Yes, there is. Doesn't the poll in question also confirm this?
    correlation does not imply causation.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    That a member of RHP will be a teacher or that he is actually being trained for it?
    That someone with my politics and personality is going to be teaching. I think she prefers the radical Marxists who are failing to educate the kids of my home city.

They LOVE me, FMF. The power the Marxists want is in my hands because the poor inner city children of color respect me. 🙂
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 18:41
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    correlation does not imply causation.
    But correlation is a link.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree