1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 03:18
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I wasn't saying consciousness isn't real, only that our capacity to observe ourselves act doesn't really count for much, other than as a curiosity. (Quite what evolutionary purpose, if any, is served by this capacity is a matter of debate; it may well be that it is simply a side-effect of a considerably more complex system of communication within the spe ...[text shortened]... of all the evidence they say they approve of elsewhere pointing to the contrary...
    i can see how in the evolutionary context that it may be difficult to explain, but alas Dr.K i am not match for your learned opinions, plus its three fifteen am and i have the will of a melting ice lolly in the mid day sun in Multan, wish you well - regards Robbie.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 05:56
    kids are soft and cuddly. even when they get big they're still cute.

re the In Future We'll All Be Doomed scenario, the doctor prescribes a few years of country living.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 09:21
    Environmental problems are only loosely related to population. I live in one of the most densely populated countries in the world and there are very little pollution problems here. Carbon emissions look set to drop from the next decade or so onwards.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 09:26
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    kids are soft and cuddly. even when they get big they're still cute.
    Er... ok, dude... it's a free world so good for you.

Just try to like them after they're 18 years old, mmkay?
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:28
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Er... ok, dude... it's a free world so good for you.

Just try to like them after they're 18 years old, mmkay?
    you'll always be older than they are, and maybe you can remember yourself at that age.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:401 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    you'll always be older than they are, and maybe you can remember yourself at that age.
    Not really.

After the accident, all I recall is Santa Claus putting Atari consoles under the tree.
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 11:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Environmental problems are only loosely related to population. I live in one of the most densely populated countries in the world and there are very little pollution problems here. Carbon emissions look set to drop from the next decade or so onwards.
    I wouldn't say that it's just pollution though. There is also foresting to produce paper, clear felling to grow palm oil, the meat industry which uses up huge amounts of energy and water and oil, wasteful or toxic energy production by-products, etc.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 13:16
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    I wouldn't say that it's just pollution though. There is also foresting to produce paper, clear felling to grow palm oil, the meat industry which uses up huge amounts of energy and water and oil, wasteful or toxic energy production by-products, etc.
    There are practical and sustainable solutions for all of these issues and they are increasingly being employed.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 23:40
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Now imagine a giant wall being built around the Netherlands and all imports and travel being cut off. Let's see how long the land 16 million Dutch currently occupy can sustain them at their current standard of living. Hmm...
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 05:43
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Now imagine a giant wall being built around the Netherlands and all imports and travel being cut off. Let's see how long the land 16 million Dutch currently occupy can sustain them at their current standard of living. Hmm...
    maybe the Dutch should have a one-child policy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree