Why does Obama avoid confrontation?

Why does Obama avoid confrontation?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
02 Apr 13

Originally posted by normbenign
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/fiscal-cliff-raise-taxes_n_2395559.html

Additionally, he let his own payroll tax holiday expire which was a tax hike on everyone.

In the meantime the out of control debt isn't addressed, just kicked down the road, and continued borrowing doesn't create jobs, and the guaranteed effect is that price increases d ...[text shortened]... poorest to the richest. Of course it is the ultimate flat tax, and one that nobody votes on.
"Obama pushed hard to enact the payroll tax cut for 2011 and to extend it through 2012. But it was never fully embraced by either party, and this time around, there was general agreement to let it expire." I know you want it to be "Obama" that let it expire, seeing how flinging mud at him is your first, and only priority.

The out of control debt is at least partially addressed through additional tax revenue.

Also, "taking actual purchasing power" is the same argument made against the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, saying the tax increases were going to cripple the economy. LOL! And the opposite was said for the Bush tax cuts in 2001, again LOL!

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Apr 13

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
"Obama pushed hard to enact the payroll tax cut for 2011 and to extend it through 2012. But it was never fully embraced by either party, and this time around, there was general agreement to let it expire." I know you want it to be "Obama" that let it expire, seeing how flinging mud at him is your first, and only priority.

The out of control deb ...[text shortened]... pple the economy. LOL! And the opposite was said for the Bush tax cuts in 2001, again LOL!
The net effect of the expiration of the payroll tax holiday was a big tax increase for all taxpayers, leaving less to spend. I thought the idea (a payroll tax holiday) was silly anyway given the impending bankruptcy of SS, and it never would have been considered if suggested by a Republican.

So I don't care if Obama gets blamed. I think something that never should have been expired, and I don't care who did it.

"The out of control debt is at least partially addressed through additional tax revenue. "

Yeh, something is better than nothing, but it is spitting into a 50 gallon barrel.

"taking actual purchasing power"s the same argument.............."

It isn't the same as either of those cases, which aren't the same as each other. Reducing purchasing power is the result of monetary inflation, not prices rising, that is a symptom of monetary inflation. Monetary inflation is borrowing and the Fed issuing notes to pay the debt. QE1, etc. If tax increases would cover the debt, and spending would not increase, that would stop the inflationary symptoms. Trouble is when taxes are increased, spend does too. Clinton, and Bush spent plenty, but Obama has managed to make both of them look like skinflints.

U

Moves
03 Apr 13

Originally posted by normbenign
The net effect of the expiration of the payroll tax holiday was a big tax increase for all taxpayers, leaving less to spend. I thought the idea (a payroll tax holiday) was silly anyway given the impending bankruptcy of SS, and it never would have been considered if suggested by a Republican.

So I don't care if Obama gets blamed. I think something tha ...[text shortened]... and Bush spent plenty, but Obama has managed to make both of them look like skinflints.
OK, so let's look at two things you said.

You: "I thought the idea (a payroll tax holiday) was silly anyway given the impending bankruptcy of SS, and it never would have been considered if suggested by a Republican."

and

You: "I think something that never should have been expired, and I don't care who did it."

So Obama implements payroll tax cuts and you oppose them. And then when they expire you oppose that as well.

Classic. Obama. Derangement. Syndrome.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
05 Apr 13

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
OK, so let's look at two things you said.

You: "I thought the idea (a payroll tax holiday) was silly anyway given the impending bankruptcy of SS, and it never would have been considered if suggested by a Republican."

and

You: "I think something that never should have been expired, and I don't care who did it."

So Obama implements pay ...[text shortened]... then when they expire you oppose that as well.

Classic. Obama. Derangement. Syndrome.
"You: "I think something that never should have been expired, and I don't care who did it.""

Sorry, that sentence was painfully written.

"So Obama implements payroll tax cuts and you oppose them. And then when they expire you oppose that as well. "

No, I don't blame him for letting them expire. It was going to happen, or SS would have gone bankrupt much sooner.