1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 00:44
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I'm sure there are many reasons for NY's success in reducing crime, but Giuliani's tactics (the controversial ones, the noncontroversial ones, or both) were clearly a factor.

Liberals bending over backwards to give Giuliani zero credit for the precipitous drop that happened under his watch remind me of sports fans who have it in for a player or coach and wi ...[text shortened]... reasons why every success of the player or team was really attributable to someone else or luck.
    (Notice, too, that Giuliani's claim that he deserves credit for New York's crime rate is also overblown. The plunge began before he took office, in parallel with a sharp national drop in crime levels. It continued after he left.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/21/it-looks-like-rudy-giuliani-convinced-donald-trump-that-stop-and-frisk-actually-works/?utm_term=.80978b90cf33

Anyone who reads the NY Post knows it was a common right wing claim that once Mayor DiBlasio ended the practice of "stop and frisk", crime would skyrocket. It hasn't; it has continued to fall.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 17:193 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    (Notice, too, that Giuliani's claim that he deserves credit for New York's crime rate is also overblown. The plunge began before he took office, in parallel with a sharp national drop in crime levels. It continued after he left.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/21/it-looks-like-rudy-giuliani-convinced-donald-trump-that-stop-and ...[text shortened]... ed the practice of "stop and frisk", crime would skyrocket. It hasn't; it has continued to fall.
    The drop in NYC was far more precipitous than the nation as a whole.

Is Giuliani's claim overblown? Sure. Just about everything Giuliani has ever said has been overblown. Understatement is not his thing.

But still. He got rid of the squeegymen. He cracked down on minor crime. He cleaned up 42nd street. He made cab drivers afraid to drive recklessly. He even started confiscating cars of people pulled over for DWI (though admittedly, that one was constitutionally dubious).

No doubt crime would have gone down with or without him, but his being a dick, which he's awesome at, aimed at crime, helped. I think most NYC residents, even De Blasio voters, would agree.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 17:33
    Originally posted by @sh76
    The drop in NYC was far more precipitous than the nation as a whole.

Is Giuliani's claim overblown? Sure. Just about everything Giuliani has ever said has been overblown. Understatement is not his thing.

But still. He got rid of the squeegymen. He cracked down on minor crime. He cleaned up 42nd street. He made cab drivers afraid to drive recklessly. He e ...[text shortened]... some at, aimed at crime, helped. I think most NYC residents, even De Blasio voters, would agree.
    A control freak? This is the second thread marerider1 has started where there were already threads on the subject. Just observing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree