Why?

Standard memberwhodey
Debates 10 Apr '16 10:26
  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 10:26
    Why did the Europeans decimate the native American populations when they first arrived in the Americas and not vice versa?

Obviously the answer is because the Europeans had been exposed to more pathogens over the millennia than the early native Americans. So what does this say about the two cultures if anything? Did the Europeans live like vermin compared to their native American counterparts?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:45
    Europeans had much wider trade networks.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:501 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Europeans had much wider trade networks.
    But I thought that Asians populated the Americas
  4. Germany
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 12:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    If Native Americans once migrated from Asia it doesn't mean they kept trading with Asians, now does it?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 13:51
    The Americas were populated a relatively long time ago. Most of the diseases in question were relatively new to Europe too and had decimated the Europeans when they first arrived in Europe.

It is possible, though not confirmed, that syphilis came from the Americas and did, quite seriously affect the Europeans.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 14:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead

It is possible, though not confirmed, that syphilis came from the Americas and did, quite seriously affect the Europeans.
    That claim is gaining acceptance:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/case-closed-columbus/
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 14:03
    Europeans are a weed-like virus...
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 14:232 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Europeans are a weed-like virus...
    Back with your self-loathing libtard hate-whitey garbage ?
    Move somewhere else and get back to us on how much you like it. Tell us all about how wonderful everyone else is.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The Americas were populated a relatively long time ago. Most of the diseases in question were relatively new to Europe too and had decimated the Europeans when they first arrived in Europe.

Since these diseases developed in Europe, what does that say about their sanitation compared to those in the Americas if anything?

I think the issue is sanitation in large city dwellings in Europe compared to the smaller village settings in the Americas
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 16:111 edit
    Since these diseases developed in Europe, what does that say about their sanitation compared to those in the Americas if anything?

I think the issue is sanitation in large city dwellings in Europe compared to the smaller village settings in the Americas
    Yeah the cities were smelly cesspools back then, the indians were basically just camping out in relatively small numbers by rivers and lakes so they didn't have sanitation problems.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 16:301 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yeah the cities were smelly cesspools back then, the indians were basically just camping out in relatively small numbers by rivers and lakes so they didn't have sanitation problems.
    That must be it then.

Thread closed. Another problem solved by Whodey! 😵
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 16:35

They didn't 'develop in Europe'. They came from various parts of Asia and Africa, and before that, who knows? Look up each disease in turn to learn its history, each one is unique. Some had to so with sanitation, some were related to fleas and rats, some were spread through sex (and thus aggravated by war), some affected mostly the poor, some affected everyone equally.

If you really want to learn more about it, then this is an excellent lecture series from Yale University:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3AE7B3B6917DE8E6
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 16:47
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Back with your self-loathing libtard hate-whitey garbage ?
    Move somewhere else and get back to us on how much you like it. Tell us all about how wonderful everyone else is.
    You're like a turd which just keeps floating, no matter how often one flushes.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 16:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You're like a turd which just keeps floating, no matter how often one flushes.
    Answer me.
    If Europeans are such an evil virus then why do you live among them?
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 17:041 edit

Most of them came from China actually.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree