Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Sep '16 03:37 / 2 edits
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/woman-who-was-sexually-abused-as-a-child-becomes-police-officer-and-captures-attacker-texas-a7229616.html

    "A woman who was sexually abused from the age of eight has seen her attacker put behind bars 15 years later, after she became a police officer and secretly taped his confession."

    YouTube : Woman arrests her own rapist
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Sep '16 12:04
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/woman-who-was-sexually-abused-as-a-child-becomes-police-officer-and-captures-attacker-texas-a7229616.html

    "A woman who was sexually abused from the age of eight has seen her attacker put behind bars 15 years later, after she became a police officer and secretly taped his confession."

    [youtube Woman arrests her own rapist]KtuofQuaUBU[/youtube]
    I was wondering how she got the recording. I think it would have been inadmissable if she had just confronted him wearing a recorder but this was an official recording, co-ordinated with her own people.

    So the question I have: What makes such recorded confessions inadmissable since it was a recording that nailed him? And he got what he deserved for sure.
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Sep '16 13:21 / 1 edit
    I've heard that it's illegal to record phone messages (without court approval), so those would be probably be illegal. Confessions acquired by any type of force are also inadmissible in a trail.

    Apart from those (I'm guessing), it's probably not illegal to secretly record a confession.
  4. 09 Sep '16 14:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the question I have: What makes such recorded confessions inadmissable since it was a recording that nailed him? And he got what he deserved for sure.
    Recordings made under uncontrolled circumstances are highly problematic. Not only is there potential for doctoring the recording, but people can say some ridiculous things which aren't true, when they think things aren't being recorded. It would certainly be a violation of privacy, so it seems that at a minimum it should require a court order.
  5. 09 Sep '16 14:29
    It would appear that in some states it is illegal to record a conversation without the consent of both parties, and illegal recordings are not admissible as evidence.
    More here:
    https://www.quora.com/Is-a-secret-recording-admissible-in-court
  6. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    09 Sep '16 18:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It would appear that in some states it is illegal to record a conversation without the consent of both parties, and illegal recordings are not admissible as evidence.
    More here:
    https://www.quora.com/Is-a-secret-recording-admissible-in-court
    As per usual, you're full of that stuff which issues from the anus of every living thing in possession of the same.
    Are the things executed in private immune from prosecution?
    When two people are cut off from all others, are all bets off, every man or woman for themselves?
    Every child on their own?
    Your slivering and delicate slicing of nuance and meaning deserve little more than a punch to your delicate throat.
    Sometimes, hard to believe, but sometimes, some actions on the part of one party, regardless of the reprehensible nature of the same, are beyond the scope or power of prosecution... simply because it's the word of a powerless child/woman/person against someone otherwise unencumbered.
    The powerless had but one recourse: somehow have their tormentor say the words, speak what had been unspoken.
    For many such victims, that closure speaks stronger, more true than any possible verdict.
    They just want their abusers to say , admit what they did.