Won't someone protect the children?

Won't someone protect the children?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
28 Mar 23

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/17/business/child-labor-packers-sanitation.html

One 14-year-old, who worked from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. five to six days a week, suffered chemical burns from cleaning machines used to cut meat, the department said.

Only replies praising the sanctity of parental right please. I don't want to hear anyone mention the ludicrous notion that children maybe shouldn't work night shifts (or even more preposterous, any shifts)

Moves
28 Mar 23

@zahlanzi said
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/17/business/child-labor-packers-sanitation.html

One 14-year-old, who worked from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. five to six days a week, suffered chemical burns from cleaning machines used to cut meat, the department said.

Only replies praising the sanctity of parental right please. I don't want to hear anyone mention the ludicrous notion that children maybe shouldn't work night shifts (or even more preposterous, any shifts)
US? At that age they can’t work past a certain time in the evening, so many hours per week, mostly weekends, legally.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 23

@mike69 said
US? At that age they can’t work past a certain time in the evening, so many hours per week, mostly weekends, legally.
That’s why the employer had to pay a 1.5 million fine

Z

Moves
28 Mar 23
1 edit

@athousandyoung said
That’s why the employer had to pay a 1.5 million fine
Which basically makes child labour legal. And there are states working towards making it even easier to exploit children

Moves
28 Mar 23

@mike69 said
When I was 15 and working in California the cut-off was 9 PM on school nights, 10:30 on Friday/Saturday.
We could work all the hours we wanted, I once put in a 70 hour week, but I had just turned 18, and even though I was still in High School, it was legal.
I think. Maybe not..

Moves
28 Mar 23
1 edit

@zahlanzi said
Which basically makes child labour legal. And there are states working towards making it even easier to exploit children
No, it means that if you get caught doing it, you will pay a bazillion dollars in fines so that it's not worth it..

Z

Moves
28 Mar 23

@jj-adams said
No, it means that if you get caught doing it, you will pay a bazillion dollars in fines so that it's not worth it..
1 million dollars fine in the one case it was caught for a company that makes several times that is not a "bazillion" dollars. It very much makes it worth it. they paid 15k per underage worker.

The fine should have been in the Billions. With a very large b. And someone should have gone to jail. Several someones.

THEN it would signal any other company that "it's not worth" it.

Any law that has a punishment equal to what someone makes in a second is not a law for that particular someone, merely a suggestion.

I skipped calling you a moron this post. I am getting bored