Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 Jan '13 02:48 / 1 edit
    Israel's new kingmaker and very possibly (hopefully) one day its Prime Minister.

In this speech, he's speaking to a group of almost entirely ultra-Orthodox. Telling it like he sees it; speaking from the heart and being tough where appropriate.

Keep in mind that his father was the most high profile anti-Orthodox politician in Israel's history. He might as well have been Hitler for how popular he was among the Hareidim. But the ultra-Orthodox audience listened to him at rapt attention and applauded him at the end. Even though a lot of what he said certainly was not what they wanted to hear.

Why? Because you can tell he's sincere and speaks from the heart.

A few more politicians like this to replace the crusty worn out and manipulative Bibi's of the world and we'll have real progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jNwAv6zpmh4

Hebrew speech, but excellent English subtitles.
  2. 25 Jan '13 03:03
    Originally posted by sh76
    Israel's new kingmaker and very possibly (hopefully) one day its Prime Minister.

In this speech, he's speaking to a group of almost entirely ultra-Orthodox. Telling it like he sees it; speaking from the heart and being tough where appropriate.

Keep in mind that his father was the most high profile anti-Orthodox politician in Israel's history. He might as ...[text shortened]... h?feature=player_embedded&v=jNwAv6zpmh4

Sounds like good news.
  3. 25 Jan '13 03:20

He might as well have been Hitler for how popular he was among the Hareidim. .[/b]
    ****Godwin alert*****

I repeat

****Godwin alert*****
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    25 Jan '13 03:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    ****Godwin alert*****

I repeat

****Godwin alert*****
    You mean there's going to be a comparison made between the Nazis and John McCain?
  5. 25 Jan '13 05:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    You mean there's going to be a comparison made between the Nazis and John McCain?
    I didn't realize he was Jewish.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    25 Jan '13 10:07
    I didn't realize he was Jewish.
    It was you who compared John McCain to the Nazis, not me.
  7. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    25 Jan '13 13:42
    We need a new meme for when a faux Godwinism cab leads to the derailment of a debate on Israeli politics
  8. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    25 Jan '13 13:50
    There are certain female body parts one can use to describe Godwin.

Same as people who straight away say: "Anti-semitic."
    To them there are certain sexual acts one should mention as one tells them where to go.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 Jan '13 14:02
    ****Godwin alert*****

I repeat

****Godwin alert*****
    Godwin is onlt invoked when the comparison is made in order to demonize one side of a debate. Godwin does not apply when Hitler is merely used as a figure of speech.
  10. 25 Jan '13 14:54 / 1 edit

Keep in mind that his father was the most high profile anti-Orthodox politician in Israel's history. He might as h?feature=player_embedded&v=jNwAv6zpmh4

Nice clip. On the basis of that, I hope he gets to be Prime Minister too.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    25 Jan '13 15:20
    Godwin is onlt invoked when the comparison is made in order to demonize one side of a debate. Godwin does not apply when Hitler is merely used as a figure of speech.
    Who was the guy who was shot dead? Rabin? He was dressed up as a Nazi and burnt in effigy all the time.