1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:281 edit
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/13/fake-indian-prof-insist-shes-a-real-one-gives-no-evidence/

A professor at the University of California, Riverside has fired back at critics who say she’s faking her American Indian ancestry by simply insisting she is one, with absolutely no evidence.

Andrea Smith is recognized as a major figure in Native American studies, and has repeatedly claimed Cherokee heritage and allowed herself to be characterized as a top Cherokee intellectual. But two weeks ago, in the wake of the Rachel Dolezal story, several American Indian journalists pointed out Smith was not a tribal member and apparently had no evidence supporting her supposed heritage. (RELATED: Top American Indian Scholar Outed As Fake Indian)

In a blog post put up late last week, Smith defends herself by simply insisting that her Cherokee identity is real, regardless of the evidence. Her lack of any tribal enrollment, she says, doesn’t matter.

“I have always been, and will always be Cherokee,” she writes in the post. “I have consistently identified myself based on what I knew to be true. My enrollment status does not impact my Cherokee identity or my continued commitment to organizing for justice for Native communities.”
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:30
    Does she need to be Indain to be accepted as an authority on Indains?

Does race matter this much?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:551 edit
    WTF. 'Fake Indian'? Really? Was 'injun' not ignorant enough?
  4. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 22:15
    Originally posted by whodey

Do you need to be a woman to be accepted as an authority on feminism?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 03:42
    Originally posted by whodey

It helps.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree