1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 13:11
    YouTube

Republican Steve King said "sub-groups" never contributed to civilization. This is the kind of moron republicans have chosen to represent them.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 14:002 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X413oPsQ74

Republican Steve King said "sub-groups" never contributed to civilization. This is the kind of moron republicans have chosen to represent them.
    Here's the exchange:

"If you're really optimistic, you can say this was the last time that old white people would command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face," Charles P. Pierce, a writer at large at Esquire magazine, said during the panel discussion.

In response, Mr. King said: "This whole 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie. I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you are talking about? Where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

"Than white people?" Mr. Hayes asked.

Mr. King responded: "Than Western civilization itself that's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America, and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization."

From: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/19/what-congressman-steve-king-asks-have-nonwhites-done-for-civilization.html

Now, what King said was a stupid racist statement. Plain and simple. And I'm going to say that twice because Duchess will be along to call me a racist any second now (no matter what I say). What King said was racist, and his pivot to "Western Civilization" was a backpedal that didn't work.

But what about the statement he was responding to? Clearly Pierce has something against "old white people". He wants their political influence removed, based on their RACE, and is bummed it hasn't happened yet. Why is that not also a racist statement?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 14:59
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Here's the exchange:

[i]"If you're really optimistic, you can say this was the last time that old white people would command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face," Charles P. Pierce, a writer at large at Esquire magazine, said during the panel discussion.

In response, Mr. King said: "This whole 'old white people' business ...[text shortened]... ed on their RACE, and is bummed it hasn't happened yet. Why is that not also a racist statement?
    yes, i would agree that it was a little (or more than a little) racist and equally ignorant.

old white people aren't just Steve King, the genius from Iowa who can't remember how the Arabs kept civilization going and triggered the Renaissance.
    old white people are also Bernie Sanders. Were Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin.

Like one of the anchors said towards the end of that piece (paraphrased) "western civilization (white people) are also Hitler and Stalin".
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 15:31
    yes, i would agree that it was a little (or more than a little) racist and equally ignorant.

old white people aren't just Steve King, the genius from Iowa who can't remember how the Arabs kept civilization going and triggered the Renaissance.
    old white people are also Bernie Sanders. Were Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin.

Like one of the anchor ...[text shortened]... nd of that piece (paraphrased) "western civilization (white people) are also Hitler and Stalin".
    that being said, one of them made a comment that while true (white old men at the head of the republican party do in fact have to go) while the other called the human race "white people" with other races being only sub-groups then proceeded to invent stupid crap.

the contrast is obvious.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 16:34
    that being said, one of them made a comment that while true (white old men at the head of the republican party do in fact have to go) ...
    You have just reiterated the same racist sentiment Pierce did (which you just agreed was racist) as your own.

Only one of those men (and you) is advocating depriving people of political clout based on their race. That contrast is also obvious.

We are never going to get past this race crap until everyone stops doing this. We should all be thinking about and speaking of people as "people", NOT "black people" or "white people".

Can you do it?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 17:10
    You have just reiterated the same racist sentiment Pierce did (which you just agreed was racist) as your own.

Only one of those men (and you) is advocating depriving people of political clout based on their race. That contrast is also obvious.

We are never going to get past this race crap until everyone stops doing this. We should all be think ...[text shortened]... bout and speaking of people as "people", NOT "black people" or "white people".

Can you do it?
    "You have just reiterated the same racist sentiment Pierce did (which you just agreed was racist) as your own."

no dear. the old white men currently at the head of the Republican party are bad for the party and bad for the whole country. i am advocating removing them based on that, not on the fact that they are old and white. i don't care if they are replaced with other old white men as long as they are different and do what is best for everyone, not just a few.

that is definitely what that man meant (even though what came out might have sounded racist, just because he didn't bother to mention "those specific old white men"😉

there is a little difference.

"We are never going to get past this race crap"
    i agree, we are definitely not going to get past this race crap when someone mentions what an obvious racist (and moronic racist at that) said and you immediately jump at a mild comment as racist and declare it is equal.

the iowa republican just said non-whites are subgroups of people. do you get that it is not the same thing as wanting old white republicans to retire to florida and make room for hopefully paul ryan clones (who are nowhere near as bad)?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 17:212 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 17:24

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 17:32

10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 18:161 edit
    Clearly Pierce has something against "old white people". He wants their political influence removed, based on their RACE, and is bummed it hasn't happened yet. Why is that not also a racist statement?
    "Old white men" doesn't literally mean elderly Caucasian males. It's a euphemism for the racist, religious zealot mindset that dominates the GOP. The last time it was socially acceptable (on a national scale) to be openly racist, was in the 60's; many white (and religious) men from that era who reveled in their racist and sexist ways, are still around today, and still influence the GOP, as "old white men".
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 20:03

And the largest "sub-group" like this that doesn't contribute to civilization now is Republicans.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 21:09

He said other sub-groups.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 21:11
    Originally posted by vivify
    "Old white men" doesn't literally mean elderly Caucasian males. It's a euphemism for the racist, religious zealot mindset that dominates the GOP. The last time it was socially acceptable (on a national scale) to be openly racist, was in the 60's; many white (and religious) men from that era who reveled in their racist and sexist ways, are still around today, and still influence the GOP, as "old white men".
    A corollary to that logic is that "young Black people" is also a euphemism.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Jul '16 22:351 edit
    Here's the exchange:

[i]"If you're really optimistic, you can say this was the last time that old white people would command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face," Charles P. Pierce, a writer at large at Esquire magazine, said during the panel discussion.

In response, Mr. King said: "This whole 'old white people' business ...[text shortened]... ed on their RACE, and is bummed it hasn't happened yet. Why is that not also a racist statement?
    I don't see Pierce's comment as "racist" at all. I realize it is now a common mantra on this board that any mention of race makes you a "racist" but that is utter silliness. Pierce was commenting on the disproportionate power that "old white people" wield in the Republican Party and that is obviously true - as an example " only 18 of the 2,472 delegates headed to Cleveland were African-American. That doesn’t even crack 1 percent of the total delegate count" this in a country where African Americans now are about 13% of the population.https://bangordailynews.com/2016/07/19/opinion/contributors/the-republican-conventions-race-problem/

Pierce is making a valid observation; King is making a racist statement i.e. one implying that one race is innately superior to others. That right wingers pretend to not know the difference is telling.

EDIT: This Wall Street Journal article points out the salient facts regarding changes in party demographics in the last 20 years and states:

Our most recent poll, released last week, found a Republican Party that has made some advances since 2012 but largely tilts older, less educated, more rural and less diverse in terms of race.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/07/19/racial-diversity-eludes-republican-party-2012-versus-2016/
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '16 01:361 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree