1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 07:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Harsh, with respect to the traditional family emphasis of this festive yearend hoilday. Thanksgiving a bummer for you and yours also?
    -
    I like festive year-end holidays. The Christians stole the pagan mid-winter festival, at point of sword and flame of pyre. I'm okay with taking it back.

Thanksgiving is another matter. What are we celebrating? Successful harvest? Befriending the natives we're about ready to rape pillage and plunder? Force of habit?

You're right, Grampy, I am not a fountain of joy when culture pushes me around.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 11:57
    Originally posted by apathist
    I like festive year-end holidays. The Christians stole the pagan mid-winter festival, at point of sword and flame of pyre. I'm okay with taking it back.

Thanksgiving is another matter. What are we celebrating? Successful harvest? Befriending the natives we're about ready to rape pillage and plunder? Force of habit?

You're right, Grampy, I am not a fountain of joy when culture pushes me around.
    Interesting in depth point of view, to say the least.
  3. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 12:22
    When doing all of your Christmas shopping on Christmas eve, plan your route to make sure you get the most important gifts first, shoppers annoyance and impromptu pub visits can lead to early abandonment of gift shopping.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 13:39
    Get your Christmas shopping done in January, during the sales. This way you make big savings and avoid the stampede.

Please be careful not to purchase any perishable food items or alcohol, as these are likely to either go rotten or get drunk early.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 14:411 edit
    Send e-cards to those whose expected gifts (this year) you can't afford. Many nice ones are available 'free'.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 03:39
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Get your Christmas shopping done in January, during the sales. This way you make big savings and avoid the stampede.

Please be careful not to purchase any perishable food items or alcohol, as these are likely to either go rotten or get drunk early.
    This is sage advice.

Too bad I never do it.
  7. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 03:42
    Originally posted by cadwah
    When doing all of your Christmas shopping on Christmas eve, plan your route to make sure you get the most important gifts first, shoppers annoyance and impromptu pub visits can lead to early abandonment of gift shopping.
    Way back when... a buddy and I established a yearly tradition of going to the shopping mall on December 23rd go get all our last-minute shopping done, only to wind up getting drunk at the pub inside the mall instead.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 18:321 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Leave your decorations up until Christmas Next. Why? Reveal Hidden Content
    Why in the world not? Benefits of doing so should be obvious. Merry Christmas, Lady D. You add so very much to this tired, old sandbox scene. Playing chess with you is a delight, a real kick! Hope our game never ends... By the way, White to move. Thanks. (Buddy W)

-
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 20:27
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Way back when... a buddy and I established a yearly tradition of going to the shopping mall on December 23rd go get all our last-minute shopping done, only to wind up getting drunk at the pub inside the mall instead.
    that seems to be at least authentic

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree