1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    16 Jan '13 17:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why are you so obsessed with the 'Thumbs' feature?

How would you knowing who has 'liked' and 'disliked' one of your posts "stimulate even livelier conversation"?
    Ooooooohhhhh wrecks.

We LOVE wrecks.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 05:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have simply asked one question about it. I don't think that can be described as "obsessed". But I am fascinated by how anyone could become concerned by the 'Thumbs' feature on a forum like this one. Very few people use it compared to the number who could. I cannot see how any significant meaning could be attached to a few 'likes' and 'dislikes' registered in t ...[text shortened]... mulate even livelier conversation" is utterly baffling. And so that's why I asked.
    "Utterly baffling" is a little hard to believe. Not all thumbs are created equal, and thumbs down from people whose opinion I respect would be more meaningful to me than a thumbs down from, oh, I don't know ... RJHinds! 😉

I'm not really sure I would care that much, but it's not at all a reach for me to think that others would.

It's probable value is an indicator of who reads, because I know from the "only chess" forum that there are many players who do not post, but who do make use of the feature.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '13 08:02
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    "Utterly baffling" is a little hard to believe. Not all thumbs are created equal, and thumbs down from people whose opinion I respect would be more meaningful to me than a thumbs down from, oh, I don't know ... RJHinds! 😉

I'm not really sure I would care that much, but it's not at all a reach for me to think that others would.

It's probable valu ...[text shortened]... " forum that there are many players who do not post, but who do make use of the feature.
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 21:02
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    tinyurl.com/CrapForum
    I took the liberty to give you a thumbs up.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 22:48
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

It's probable va ...[text shortened]... " forum that there are many players who do not post, but who do make use of the feature.
    [Mega Like]
    Comment: What's not to respect about a guy who's as insightful
    and clear eyed on the forums as in high caliber chess games!
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 15:05
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]2013 Poll (Red Hot Pawn Pluses and Minuses)

...cut...
    Disclosure of Thumbs Liked and Disliked, similar to Facebook's hidden but cursor touch revealed identities would (not only be nice) but would in my view stimulate even livelier conversation, approximating face to face.
    .[/b]
    That you should take to "Site Ideas".

But then it would probably need a lot of coding, since the information would have somehow be stored with the message.

Since thumbs do vanish on death of a thread, memory requirement could be low in the database.
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 16:20
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    That you should take to "Site Ideas".

But then it would probably need a lot of coding, since the information would have somehow be stored with the message.

Since thumbs do vanish on death of a thread, memory requirement could be low in the database.
    Forget thumbs.

How about fingers???

If you don't like a thread or a comment
    click up 2 fingers.

Yaay.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree