1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '17 16:063 edits
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    [b]Entry No 9
    SPHERES

When the recon mission landed on the surface of the planet, they found what they expected: a desert planet surface. They set up their camp in the open plane as planned and went to sleep.

The next day they found those small spheres, the size of basket balls distributed around their camp. They went to investigate a ...[text shortened]... trail of the spheres was virtually free of dust.

But then there were tracks on the floor...[/b]
    A apologize. I got notified that last parts of this story was omitted (I suppose due length, so it did not fit in body PM):::: Here's the entry Number 9 again::::

Entry No 9
    SPHERES

When the recon mission landed on the surface of the planet, they found what they expected: a desert planet surface. They set up their camp in the open plane as planned and went to sleep.

The next day they found those small spheres, the size of basket balls distributed around their camp. They went to investigate and found them to be hollow spheres of milky Quartz.

This started the discussion about the water question. During the observation time several measurements had found water in the atmosphere and several had found none. This was one of the questions that warranted a manned search. The unmanned rovers had just found the sandy desert, consisting mainly of Silicates with very low amounts of metal ions.

A hollow sphere is not a very common feature to be found on desert planets without geological activity. So the team decided to open one of the spheres to find out more.

They collected three of the objects which seemed to be blown around by the wind in very strange patterns and brought them into their lab module. There they set a drill to the first one. Due to the spherical form and the sand polished surface it was hard to handle. It seemed like it had a life of its own. But after a few attempts they managed to fix the sphere to drill a hole into the Quartz.

After a few inches the drill hit the hollow volume. Surprisingly a big amount of dust came out of it, indicating that the pressure inside exceeded atmospheric. Of course the drilling had created some dust, so the planetologers had put on face masks, but the dust coming out of the sphere seemed to make breathing impossible.

While the Leader of the team was switching the air conditioner to higher flow to filter the dust the two other spheres, which they had brought in began to roll around the laboratory in astonishing speed, kicking the humans off their feet. They fell to the floor and observed how the trail of the spheres was virtually free of dust. But then there were tracks on the floor, were the Metal was eroded away, and when the spheres began to roll over the humans their space suits dissolved. Fleeing the laboratory was impossible since the atmosphere outside was toxic…

The Captain of the mother ship was confused when the recon team didn’t report on time. The surprise grew when the visuals of the recon camp just send white noise. And then the telescope found no trace of the camp on the landing site.

A new recon team was prepared to find out what had happened and struck camp on the plain desert. They set up the equipment and reported to the mother ship, that the wind seemed to be stronger than anticipated since they had observed a milky sphere the size of a basket ball to vanish at a rather high velocity.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Mar '17 19:56
    Thanks for the correction.
    I repeated the title of the 1st story in fifth story, and I have just rectified this.
    I don't see it.

What is the correct title for Entry #1? 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 00:10
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I don't see it.

What is the correct title for Entry #1? 🙂
    The title you see.
  4. Arizona
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 00:44
    1. Vultures entry #10 , 2. Bill entry # 7 , 3. Lakawana entry #8
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 01:281 edit
    The title you see.
    ohh -- it was 5's title that was wrong, not 1's. Got it.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 01:52
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    ohh -- it was 5's title that was wrong, not 1's. Got it.
    Good dogg.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 02:16
    Good work all!

1. Fifteen Minutes of Care (#3)

2. Lackawanna (#8)

3. It's One O'Clock and Time for Lunch (#1)
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 09:59
    1st Fifteen minutes of care.

2nd Vultures

3rd. Bill
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 10:27
    1st 'LAKAWANA'

2nd 'FIFTEEN MINUTES OF CARE'

3rd 'I'TS ONE OCLOCK AND TIME FOR LUNCH'

Congrats to all, especially hard putting these three in order of preference, and thanks to you 'vandervelde' for all the hard work.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 12:17
    1st Vultures
    2nd Lackawanna
    3rd A Brie Encounter

Jolly good reading. (All entries).
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 17:48
    1) Fifteen Minutes
    2) It's One O'clock etc
    3) Vultures

Good work to all.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 04:05
    Hard to choose this time among so many good stories. Thanks to all those who entered.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 00:22
    Thanks to all who had voted so far.
  14. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '17 23:37
    Any way we can drum up some enthusiasm for the contest? My vote has yet to come should be in tomorrow or next day.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 11:521 edit
    4 (four) more days to vote.
    I assure that the stories are not only decent examples of literary artistry, but are also filled with murders, touching emotions, twists, dirty sex and are indeed engaged with our present time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree