1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 03:07
    I am weighing the possibility of carefully avoiding absolutely all news for a whole year - for the first time in my adult life - as a kind of new year's resolution/experiment for 2018.

So, no television, no radio, no surfing internet news sites, news apps and news related podcasts deleted from my phone, no visits to any forums or message boards or web sites where news stories are discussed, avoid places that have gadgets, appliances and screens displaying news information, and I'd ask friends I socialize with to leave me out ofn their ruminations on current affairs.

I'd mean to put myself into a strict quarantine for 12 months.

Could it be done in the context of the life you lead?

What might be the repercussions for me - both positive and negative - of doing this?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 03:13
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I am weighing the possibility of carefully avoiding absolutely all news for a whole year - for the first time in my adult life - as a kind of new year's resolution/experiment for 2018.

So, no television, no radio, no surfing internet news sites, news apps and news related podcasts deleted from my phone, no visits to any forums or message boards or web sites ...[text shortened]... ou lead?

What might be the repercussions for me - both positive and negative - of doing this?
    Don't underestimate the power of curiosity. You won't last a week.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 03:15

So, no television, no radio, no surfing internet news sites, news apps and news related podcasts deleted from my phone, no visits to any forums or message boards or web sites ...[text shortened]... ou lead?

Not a day will pass without someone saying
    "Have you seen what that idiot Trump has done now?"
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 04:22
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Not a day will pass without someone saying
    "Have you seen what that idiot Trump has done now?"
    I have enjoyed 2017 very much - in a kind of permanently aghast and increasingly unshockable way - for this very reason.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 04:25
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Don't underestimate the power of curiosity. You won't last a week.
    I was thinking of diverting the need to consume info and narratives into reading more books instead.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 08:08

What a loon!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 14:47
    It's the same as you can't avoid reading quote from someone you had blocked.
    People you meet on daily basis will keep you informed even unintentionally.
    You will hear neighbor's radio or TV, or others' conversation, and willingly or not, you'll learn about WW 3 that started... Or about newest arrs of sister Cardashian
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 14:48
    [b]I am weighing the possibility of carefully avoiding absolutely all news for a whole year - for the first time in my adult life - as a kind of new year's resolution/experiment for 2018.

So, no television, no radio, no surfing internet news sites, news apps and news related podcasts deleted from my phone, no visits to any forums or message boards or web sites where news stories are discussed, avoid places that have gadgets, appliances and
    I've been doing that for years..all media news is Bulls**t
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 16:20

All you need is a bit of the old menopause magic.
    You retain nothing for longer than 15 minutes.
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 16:29
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    All you need is a bit of the old menopause magic.
    You retain nothing for longer than 15 minutes.
    15 minutes? My experience has been more like 2 minutes. 😉
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 16:56
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    15 minutes? My experience has been more like 2 minutes. 😉
    Try the patches 😛
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 17:23
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Try the patches 😛
    I did but the pirates got really upset when I took them.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 14:53

One thing I see, you lose all your RHP games.....
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:142 edits

If you like to farm I know this perfect Amish couple who might take you in.

YouTube : amish

I think escaping the world is a perfect way to keep your world views and hopes fully intact.

Honestly, it is the only way.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 16:28
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I think escaping the world is a perfect way to keep your world views and hopes fully intact.

Honestly, it is the only way.
    How can you get centered when the world is pushing you around?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree