1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '13 17:29
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/kentucky-accidential-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is nuts. Giving a 5 year old a 22 rifle? Insane. Of course the NRA would say nothing wrong here, just a kid that didn't get educated.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 May '13 18:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/kentucky-accidential-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is nuts. Giving a 5 year old a 22 rifle? Insane. Of course the NRA would say nothing wrong here, just a kid that didn't get educated.
    so very sad...

who will learn what from these tragedies?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:08
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    so very sad...

who will learn what from these tragedies?
    Not the NRA for sure. They don't give a crap HOW many people die as long as they can have their 66 round Kalijnikov.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:19
    It's the attitude of the police that blows my mind: -

"Starks' autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday, but the shooting has been ruled accidental, according to Kentucky State Police Public Affairs officer Billy Gregory.
    "The mother was home at the time of the incident but she had stepped outside," Gregory said. "It's just one of those nightmares -- a quick thing that happens when you turn your back."

It's gross negligence and manslaughter in my mind. 'A quick thing that happens when you turn your back'??????????????
    Words escape me.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:23

I am starting to wonder if we really need to interfere with these parents removing their offspring from the gene pool.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I am starting to wonder if we really need to interfere with these parents removing their offspring from the gene pool.
    By removing warning labels from all products we would eventually increase the average intelligence of the human race or hasten our journey to extinction. 🙂

(I freely admit that I borrowed and rephrased this a little.)
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 May '13 22:59

I would not call leaving a rifle with two toddlers an accident.

Absolutely disgraceful.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 May '13 00:312 edits
    What I find weird about the whole gun control debate is this: isn't the US a civilised country with civilised people? Australians don't feel the need to own guns for protection; Brits don't feel the need to own guns for protection; even Israelis in a war zone don't feel the need to own guns for protection; so why do Americans? What's wrong with America that its people feel so insecure? It can't be the terrorist thing, guns are no protection against suicide bombers ...

{I recognise that not every American wants guns in their homes, but I don't know the percentages, and it's the gun lobby that gets all the international publicity.}
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 May '13 01:06
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

US has 88 guns per 100 residents.

A not-close second is Yemen with 54 guns per 100.

Switzerland (whose militia are required to have guns at home) come in
    third with 45 per 100.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '13 01:18
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    What I find weird about the whole gun control debate is this: isn't the US a civilised country with civilised people? Australians don't feel the need to own guns for protection; Brits don't feel the need to own guns for protection; even Israelis in a war zone don't feel the need to own guns for protection; so why do Americans? What's wrong with America th ...[text shortened]... know the percentages, and it's the gun lobby that gets all the international publicity.}
    I blame the conservative Republicans who are hell-bent on convincing the American people that the government is their biggest enemy and that corporations are their real friends who only have their best interests in mind. In a country that learned this bizarre concept at Grandpa Reagan's knee, they're still sucking down this poisoned pablum like it was their mother's own milk.

Considering that places like Kentucky aren't exactly bastions of intelligence, the combination often results in what we've seen today. 🙁
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 May '13 01:44
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    What I find weird about the whole gun control debate is this: isn't the US a civilised country with civilised people? Australians don't feel the need to own guns for protection; Brits don't feel the need to own guns for protection; even Israelis in a war zone don't feel the need to own guns for protection; so why do Americans? What's wrong with America th ...[text shortened]... know the percentages, and it's the gun lobby that gets all the international publicity.}
    Heh, I have a dad who is a gun nut. It's not just about security. He loves the things. Handling them, shooting them, showing them to people, constructing them, shopping for them, etc. etc.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 May '13 16:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I blame the conservative Republicans who are hell-bent on convincing the American people that the government is their biggest enemy and that corporations are their real friends who only have their best interests in mind. In a country that learned this bizarre concept at Grandpa Reagan's knee, they're still sucking down this poisoned pablum like it was thei ...[text shortened]... actly bastions of intelligence, the combination often results in what we've seen today. 🙁
    narrow minded biggot much are you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree