1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:182 edits
    I want to float and idea here rather than officially in 'site ideas'.

What if subscribers have the collective power to inflict short forum bans on any other poster they see misbehaving?

A short sharp shock from one's fellow public forum contributors. Posts could not be removed but the short ban would have to be linked/referenced to a specific post. If say 12 people "yellow carded" the post as being inappropriate then the poster got a 6 hour ban, and pending moderator review, it could be increased or withdrawn etc.

Benefits:
    > More power to the people
    > Less waiting around for the mods to finish playing World of Warcraft
    > Fun!
  2. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:23
    Originally posted by divegeester

What if [b]subscribers
    have the collective power to inflict short forum bans on any other poster they see misbehaving?

A short sharp shock from one's fellow public forum contributors. Posts could not be removed but the short ban would have to be linked/referenced to a ...[text shortened]... er to the people
    > Fun![/b]
    Heil Hitler !
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:24
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Heil Hitler !
    You have an objection to the idea?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:481 edit

What if [b]subscribers
    have the collective power to inflict short forum bans on any other poster they see misbehaving?

A short sharp shock from one's fellow public forum contributors. Posts could not be removed but the short ban would have to be linked/referenced to a ...[text shortened]... er to the people
    > Fun![/b]
    In fact your suggestion ahs some merit.

However since we would have to deal with the worlf-pack mentality the moderator would have to see who gave them to ban people for inappropriate "yellow carding" ...
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:46

What if [b]subscribers

> Fun![/b]
    A noble idea, but suspect it could be open to abuse. For example, say an unpopular forum poster was given a few thumbs down. It might then become a bit of a game to add to the thumbs down tally and push him towards a 6 hour ban, if the required limit was say 12 etc.

Such a pattern seems to happen already, where a post with a couple of thumbs down can quickly attract further thumbs down like a magnet, even if the post is just a little lame rather than offensive.(It's a bit like a wounded animal attracting further attacks, due to its vulnerability).
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:55
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    A noble idea, but suspect it could be open to abuse. For example, say an unpopular forum poster was given a few thumbs down. It might then become a bit of a game to add to the thumbs down tally and push him towards a 6 hour ban, if the required limit was say 12 etc.

Such a pattern seems to happen already, where a post with a couple of thumbs down ...[text shortened]... fensive.(It's a bit like a wounded animal attracting further attacks, due to its vulnerability).
    As I understood. It was not about thumbs down, but about alerts.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 15:03
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    As I understood. It was not about thumbs down, but about alerts.
    If Dives 'yellow carded' meant non public alerts (rather than visible thumbs down) i gladly retract my previous post. πŸ™‚
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 15:49
    This is the interweb baby !
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 15:59
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    This is the interweb baby !
    Thank you Captain Obvious!

Ähem... Strange
  10. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:16
    Under this system the Clan Forum would cease to exist. πŸ˜› πŸ™„
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:48
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Under this system the Clan Forum would cease to exist. πŸ˜› πŸ™„
    So. For some they don't exist anyway.πŸ˜²πŸ˜‰
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 17:38
  13. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 17:45
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    [youtube]dnrvH8k12qw[/youtube]
    Nicely put Sir
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:21
    Not a good idea. There'd just be one clique banning another clique, mutually.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:34
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    If Dives 'yellow carded' meant non public alerts (rather than visible thumbs down) i gladly retract my previous post. πŸ™‚
    Yes absolutely "no public". Visibility would be carnage LOL.

No, this is a serious suggestion which could be trialed and add a bit of fun. Abuse would mean collaborators having to PM each other and getting a posse up etc. For a 6 hour ban? Not sure people would bother.

However if the offender got n auto PM saying something along the lines of "12 your fellow forum contributors (or whatever number) have flagged your post as in breach - you are banned for six hours pending moderator review"

It's a long enough ban to have an impact but not long enough to cause serious inconvenience. Actually maybe 12 hours wou do be better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree