General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    08 Jul '13 09:07
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UdnYRNLVAoc

    Isn't THAT a kick in the pants?
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    08 Jul '13 09:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UdnYRNLVAoc

    Isn't THAT a kick in the pants?
    You don't need an IQ of 125 to get free donuts.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    08 Jul '13 11:272 edits
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    You don't need an IQ of 125 to get free donuts.
    Perhaps cops with high intelligence wouldn't need to stop for donuts in the first place and be more conscious about their jobs....

    I have a feeling the powers that be don't want intelligent officers because they might, oh the thought of it, see things as not just black and white but having shades of grey. Can't have THAT in a cop.

    You WHAT? Gave a 12 year old a break for stealing a candy bar?

    You're FIRED. Next thing you know, that kid will be carrying a gun and robbing old ladies to support his drug habit.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526145
    08 Jul '13 11:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Perhaps cops with high intelligence wouldn't need to stop for donuts in the first place and be more conscious about their jobs....

    I have a feeling the powers that be don't want intelligent officers because they might, oh the thought of it, see things as not just black and white but having shades of grey. Can't have THAT in a cop.

    You WHAT? Gave a 12 ...[text shortened]... you know, that kid will be carrying a gun and robbing old ladies to support his drug habit.
    IQ is not the same as wisdom.

    I should know, since I work in an academic Environment with a lot of high intelligent People. Some things Happening here would shame kindergartners...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    08 Jul '13 12:073 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    IQ is not the same as wisdom.

    I should know, since I work in an academic Environment with a lot of high intelligent People. Some things Happening here would shame kindergartners...
    Of course, that goes without saying. High intelligence sometimes means just sneakier criminals and sly politicians. That said, an IQ of 125 is not THAT high on the totem pole, what, 90th percentile? Not sure exactly but it seems to me a higher level of intelligence will allow a better level of discrimination when on the beat as a cop.

    It's ironic that the guy who got rejected as too smart is now a prison guard.
    His passion is law enforcement, that's what he lives for. He should NEVER be rejected because he is too smart.

    Their rational is the smart cop will get bored with his job and quit, wasting all the money spent on his training. What about the part where his training will come about that much faster, he can qualify that much quicker than the average Joe? It is class bias and that is one of the things we have worked so hard to eliminate over the past 100 years, bias against race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disabilities and now we find ourselves fighting over being too smart. That just rankles.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    08 Jul '13 23:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course, that goes without saying. High intelligence sometimes means just sneakier criminals and sly politicians. That said, an IQ of 125 is not THAT high on the totem pole, what, 90th percentile? Not sure exactly but it seems to me a higher level of intelligence will allow a better level of discrimination when on the beat as a cop.

    It's ironic that t ...[text shortened]... age, disabilities and now we find ourselves fighting over being too smart. That just rankles.
    I wonder will we ever see a time in the future where
    the cop and the judicial system is rolled into one?

    Like Judge Dredd. The cop is the law enforcement
    officer and the sentencing judge all rolled into one.

    He'd have to have a higher IQ than a donut to do that job. 😛
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    09 Jul '13 11:26
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I wonder will we ever see a time in the future where
    the cop and the judicial system is rolled into one?

    Like Judge Dredd. The cop is the law enforcement
    officer and the sentencing judge all rolled into one.

    He'd have to have a higher IQ than a donut to do that job. 😛
    It would be quick justice though, eh. Someone in serious need of a blanket party would get it right here and now. Rape my daughter, scumbag? Rape THIS.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    09 Jul '13 11:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UdnYRNLVAoc

    Isn't THAT a kick in the pants?
    Here's what smart cops would be like.

    YouTube
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    09 Jul '13 19:28
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Here's what smart cops would be like.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkGnQeFpQIo
    Now THAT'S funny! Great editing, eh. For sure Sgt. Friday would never have been hired under these screwy new rules!
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    11 Jul '13 06:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Now THAT'S funny! Great editing, eh. For sure Sgt. Friday would never have been hired under these screwy new rules!
    I found this tidbit while looking at Jack Webb stuff:
    YouTube
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    11 Jul '13 13:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I found this tidbit while looking at Jack Webb stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvINEYS50qE
    So old Jackie was all business. Just like he appeared on his show. Did you know it was a radio show before the TV version? With Webb too.
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    12 Jul '13 01:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So old Jackie was all business. Just like he appeared on his show. Did you know it was a radio show before the TV version? With Webb too.
    Yep, Webb also produced Adam 12, Sunset Strip (later years) and many other shows.
Back to Top