1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:043 edits
    I witnessed a young mother scolding her daughter in the supermarket. 'Don't you ever do that again!' as the child attempted to climb into the refrigerated yoghurt section no doubt attracted by the brightly illustrated cartons. Now apart from an overwhelming sensation to make mom realise that its was natural for her child to explore and she was infact reprimanding her daughter merely for acting like a child it appeared to me that it could have been expressed positively. 'Be careful, its cold in there, you'll hurt your toesies', sounds much more positive than, 'don't ever do that again!'

Now not wanting to blame our parents for reinforcing negative values on us from childhood I wonder if you have ever taken stock of the negativity that you express on any given day and see if it cannot be expressed in a more positive fashion.

Why is this important? Its difficult to say although I expect that our expressions are a reflection of our current state of well being and I believe (although admittedly empirical evidence is rather scant on the ground) that positive thinking is healthy.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 11:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I witnessed a young mother scolding her daughter in the supermarket. 'Don't you ever do that again!' as the child attempted to climb into the refrigerated yoghurt section no doubt attracted by the brightly illustrated cartons. Now apart from an overwhelming sensation to make mom realise that its was natural for her child to explore and she was inf ...[text shortened]... admittedly empirical evidence is rather scant on the ground) that positive thinking is healthy.
    In terms of see,in examples, I think it would be nice for you kick off with a few of your own.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:021 edit
    People as parents are diverse in how they arrive at their parenting approach and strategies.

I've known people who end up taking a lot from their own parents' playbook ~ sometimes because it was a good model, fondly or respectfully remembered, other times despite swearing they'd do it all differently. I've known people who - for various reasons - actively and deliberately want or need to do it all differently.

I've also known people who came from big families and for one reason or another didn't get 'parented' in a way that left a lasting, detailed impression of what happened or how things were done, and who therefore get their ideas from relatives and friends ~ or even books or the TV.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:30
    The ultimate solution for this particular type of problem is: contraceptives.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In terms of see,in examples, I think it would be nice for you kick off with a few of your own.
    Yes it would be pleasant I agree.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    People as parents are diverse in how they arrive at their parenting approach and strategies.

I've known people who end up taking a lot from their own parents' playbook ~ sometimes because it was a good model, fondly or respectfully remembered, other times despite swearing they'd do it all differently. I've known people who - for various reasons - actively an ...[text shortened]... re done, and who therefore get their ideas from relatives and friends ~ or even books or the TV.
    Yes I've heard of people blaming their parents for an inability to keep a stable relationship.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:473 edits
    Originally posted by Seitse
    or positive thinking! 😀

I must confess that I did once while waiting for the bus become so incensed at a parent for lambasting their kid that I told them to their face that it was 'out of order'. This is a precarious situation because you never know how they will react, whether they will refrain or whether they will take it out on you or worse still the kid. I think they told me to mind my own business and get lost.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    or positive thinking! 😀
    Positive thinking won't stop those spermatozoids from reaching their goal, man!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:53
    Positive thinking won't stop those spermatozoids from reaching their goal, man!
    Yes its true and one should embrace the miracle of life!
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 12:59
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So your strength is in expeting consequence. This probably makes you a good diagnoser in Problems.
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:00
    So your strength is to think things through to the extremes.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:08
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    So your strength is to think things through to the extremes.
    My strength is that I know how to wear a rubber.

It's not a trivial superpower, you know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree