General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    42038
    27 Feb '14 17:311 edit
    Is anyone else watching the developments in the Ukraine and considering stocking up on army long life rations? If Georgia has taught us anything, the Russians are prepared to throw out "the integrity of international borders" in order to protect what it sees as "Ethnic Russians". The US and NATO standing with their arms crossed staring sternly is not going to cut it this time, and i see a dark cloud in the distance...is it just me?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26366700
  2. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    27 Feb '14 17:36
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Is anyone else watching the developments in the Ukraine and considering stocking up on army long life rations? If Georgia has taught us anything, the Russians are prepared to throw out "the integrity of international borders" in order to protect what it sees as "Ethnic Russians". The US and NATO standing with their arms crossed staring sternly is not going to cut it this time, and i see a dark cloud in the distance...is it just me?
    I cant fight I have a doctors note
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526294
    27 Feb '14 17:38
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Is anyone else watching the developments in the Ukraine and considering stocking up on army long life rations? If Georgia has taught us anything, the Russians are prepared to throw out "the integrity of international borders" in order to protect what it sees as "Ethnic Russians". The US and NATO standing with their arms crossed staring sternly is no ...[text shortened]... e a dark cloud in the distance...is it just me?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26366700
    Indeed the whole concept of terroritorial integrity" is flawed. But Putin will not easily lead a war in the vicinity of the NATO. And Ukraine feels much more "European" than Georgia does.
  4. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    42038
    27 Feb '14 17:44
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Indeed the whole concept of terroritorial integrity" is flawed. But Putin will not easily lead a war in the vicinity of the NATO. And Ukraine feels much more "European" than Georgia does.
    Not easy for any of us.
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    97095
    27 Feb '14 19:03
    It is a troublesome situation at the least. Russia will not easily hand over its control over the only warm water naval base it has.
  6. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    28 Feb '14 13:44
    the UK prime minister has said we have an open cheque book to help the Ukraine,it annoys me because 1/3 rd of southern England and a large part of wales is under 3 feet of water,aid should be directed to our own countrymen before giving it away in Aid to any country.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10323
    02 Mar '14 17:20
    Originally posted by redbarons
    the UK prime minister has said we have an open cheque book to help the Ukraine,it annoys me because 1/3 rd of southern England and a large part of wales is under 3 feet of water,aid should be directed to our own countrymen before giving it away in Aid to any country.
    The south of England floods every year, blame the local councils for building on land that should have been left as marsh land. N. Ireland has got a hell of a lot of rain as well, where are our floods? The south of Ireland as well, probably more there than here, where are their floods?

    Should be the local councils paying for it not the tax payers in the rest of the country.

    I don't mind paying to help Ukraine get closer to Europe but why should we have to pay for greedy local councils in southern England?
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526294
    30 Apr '14 11:22
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Is anyone else watching the developments in the Ukraine and considering stocking up on army long life rations? If Georgia has taught us anything, the Russians are prepared to throw out "the integrity of international borders" in order to protect what it sees as "Ethnic Russians". The US and NATO standing with their arms crossed staring sternly is no ...[text shortened]... e a dark cloud in the distance...is it just me?

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26366700
    The situation has worsened considerable since the OP posted his concerns.

    Is anybody reminded of June 1914?
  9. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    30 Apr '14 13:48
    Originally posted by Trev33
    The south of England floods every year, blame the local councils for building on land that should have been left as marsh land. N. Ireland has got a hell of a lot of rain as well, where are our floods? The south of Ireland as well, probably more there than here, where are their floods?

    Should be the local councils paying for it not the tax payers in the re ...[text shortened]... et closer to Europe but why should we have to pay for greedy local councils in southern England?
    its not the councils that are at fault Cameron cut then budget on river defences and the environment agency stopped paying the farmers to dredge the rivers 2 years ago.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    2365
    01 May '14 08:20
    I expect Ukraine as we know it and as it tried to be is dead in the water. Partition is a likely outcome.
  11. Subscriberdivegeester
    Racist, apparently
    Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88340
    01 May '14 09:33
    Originally posted by Trev33

    I don't mind paying to help Ukraine get closer to Europe but why should we have to pay for greedy local councils in southern England?
    Who's "we" in your scenario?
Back to Top