General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    11 Feb '13 04:091 edit
    A Short Story for Children

    Annie and Jeremiah became friends in first grade. Back then the students were assigned classroom seats in alphabetic sequence by last name. Annie Sullivan and Jeremiah Smith sat next to each other that entire year. As fate would have it, their family homes were situated on either side of a beautiful lake in the small community named Somewhere, USA. During summers they would swim together every afternoon, except Sundays.

    (to be continued, with your help)
    .
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    11 Feb '13 04:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]A Short Story for Children

    Annie and Jeremiah became friends in first grade. Back then the students were assigned classroom seats in alphabetic sequence by last name. Annie Sullivan and Jeremiah Smith sat next to each other that entire year. As fate would have it, their family homes were situated on either side of a beautiful lake in the small ...[text shortened]... hey would swim together every afternoon, except Sundays.

    (to be continued, with your help)
    .[/b]
    Annie moved away to live with her aunt and uncle in Schenectady one Summer. She returned with her new born baby brother Luke. 😕
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    919137
    11 Feb '13 04:32
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Annie moved away to live with her aunt and uncle in Schenectady one Summer. She returned with her new born baby brother Luke. 😕
    Summer swims on hot August nights,
    the car radio set to XM Love
    a frst kiss
    stolen before rushing to get home on time.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    11 Feb '13 04:431 edit
    Originally posted by coquetteSummer swims on hot August nights,
    Everything else flies over my head.

    You are in the se.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    11 Feb '13 09:064 edits
    'YouswimonyoursideandIswimonmysideandnobodyswimsinthemiddle' was the name of the lake Annie and Jay called home that magical summer. Years later they would overhear an interesting conversation, in an ice cream shoppe, about the American Indian Origin of the name. One September afternoon, they checked it out at the town library. Sure enough, those ladies knew the local history well.

    'YouswimonyoursideandIswimonmysideandnobodyswimsinthemiddle'
    had been taken from the original name of another lake in another town,
    'YoufishonyoursideandIfishonmysideandnobodyfishesinthemiddle'.

    (to be continued)
    .
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    11 Feb '13 13:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    'YouswimonyoursideandIswimonmysideandnobodyswimsinthemiddle' was the name of the lake Annie and Jay called home...
    Why don't we just call it Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?
  7. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    11 Feb '13 13:24
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Why don't we just call it Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?
    🙂
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    11 Feb '13 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

    Why don't we just call it Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?
    'Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg' the original name of another lake (in the town named Webster) and 'YouswimonyoursideandIswimonmysideandnobodyswimsinthemiddle' were often included in Spelling Bees in Mrs Vanston's First Grade Class. Annie always got them both right. Jeremiah was a Math(s) Whiz. Both kids were A+ Star Pupils. (to be continued)
    .
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    11 Feb '13 13:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    'Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg' the original name of another lake (in the town named Webster) and 'YouswimonyoursideandIswimonmysideandnobodyswimsinthemiddle' were often included in Spelling Bees in Mrs Vanston's First Grade Class. Annie always got them both right. Jeremiah was a Math(s) Whiz. Both kids were A+ Star Pupils. (to be continued)
    .
    Was there perhaps another lake nearby called "Whydon'tyoucomeovertomysideitwouldbealotmorefun"?
  10. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    11 Feb '13 13:431 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]A Short Story for Children

    Annie and Jeremiah became friends in first grade. Back then the students were assigned classroom seats in alphabetic sequence by last name. Annie Sullivan and Jeremiah Smith sat next to each other that entire year. As fate would have it, their family homes were situated on either side of a beautiful lake in the small ...[text shortened]... hey would swim together every afternoon, except Sundays.

    (to be continued, with your help)
    .[/b]
    What age would this story be aimed at?

    I don't really believe many children under the age of 10, from the majority of backgrounds nowadays, would understand the words....:

    assigned
    alphabetic sequence
    fate
    situated
    community
    except

    ....in any full understanding at all, if they have ever entertained those words.

    Writing for children is writing for them at their true level, and not as you imagine it in your own mind!

    -m.

    Edit: Change that to aged 13.... 😀
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    11 Feb '13 13:441 edit
    'Whydon'tyoucomeovertomysideitwouldbealotmorefun' became the lake's secret name among teenagers who liked to park beneath the moon on summer nights and laugh and kiss and drink beer. Annie and Jay still preferred lemonade. (to be continued)

    Editor's Footnote: "A Short Story for Children" is recommended for imaginative children between the ages of 5 and 105.
    .
  12. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    11 Feb '13 14:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    'Whydon'tyoucomeovertomysideitwouldbealotmorefun' became the lake's secret name among teenagers who liked to park beneath the moon on summer nights and laugh and kiss and drink beer. Annie and Jay still preferred lemonade. (to be continued)

    Editor's Footnote: "A Short Story for Children" is recommended for imaginative children between the ages of 5 and 105.
    .
    What happened to the kids who were brave enough to take a swim on a Sunday...?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    11 Feb '13 15:061 edit
    Annie and Jeremiah's Parents believed Sunday's should be set aside for family visits with grandparents and uncles and aunts. Annie's kin lived just over the line in Rhode Island, while Jeremiah's were located in a skiing resort community in Vermont. More than once the children complained about being treated unfairly. Both parent's (who played Cribbage together on Thursday nights) assured them that being apart would give them a chance to miss each other in a good way. In Winter, the two played Scrabble and Battleship or built Forts and made Snow Angels in their yards.

    (to be continued)
    .
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    919137
    11 Feb '13 16:17
    So, Uncle Andy explained that babies came from far far away

    and they were brought by the stork

    the young children nodded with smiling eyes, faces all aglow

    as they searched for babies and stork on their iPods
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97073
    11 Feb '13 17:17
    Originally posted by coquette
    So, Uncle Andy explained that babies came from far far away

    and they were brought by the stork

    the young children nodded with smiling eyes, faces all aglow

    as they searched for babies and stork on their iPods
    Finding that Uncle Andy had erred they decided to head over to the fillin' station to cable him with their discovery. Gubber said that during last nights storm the line had been damaged and they'd have to come back once the problem was rectified.
Back to Top