1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 04:34
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    You don't know that.
    You are entitled to your opinion. I assume you will never call on them when you are in need.
    Just the fact that you are referencing some "fact" about China is interesting. They are not exactly known for their human rights and equitable morality 😉
    You said being a cop was a thankless job - you didn't reference a country

The countries I referenced were in the OP.

I suspect policing is similar around the world - except US cops kill more.
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 12:01
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    What do you like about America?
    sweet FA
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 15:212 edits
    Originally posted by redbadger
    sweet FA
    Fred Astaire?

*Edit. Sweet?!?
  4. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 18:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You said being a cop was a thankless job - you didn't reference a country

The countries I referenced were in the OP.

I suspect policing is similar around the world - except US cops kill more.
    How many of those 1000+ deaths caused by cops were flat out "killings?" A cop just killed a suspect because (s)he was a racist cop or too aggressive or just incompetent? I bet if you dissected those 1000 deaths you'd find a great majority were due to suspects being non compliant, strung out on drugs, violent, resisting arrest and yes, some even because a cop's adrenaline rush got the best of him. It happens. They are human.
    Consider this: Is it plausible perhaps that the U.S.has more criminals, more jailed people, more suspects killed by cops because our children are not being taught how to behave in a civilized society? I taught in a Title One school. My 5th graders were a troubled group year after year. Most had no respect for authority, no acceptance of personal responsibility...always blaming "the other kid," no role models at home, no sense of right and wrong, no hope, no structure, no consequences to their missteps. But LOTS of dysfunction and turmoil in their homes and hundreds of unsupervised hours of violence consumed while watching tv, playing video games and listening to garbage music. And we wonder why years later these same kids mouth off to a cop after being pulled over? Or spend years in and out of jail?

Do you think in China this is going on to this degree with their youth? No way. They are taught to not only respect authority figures but FEAR them.Do they have the right idea? Their family units are more intact and the value they put on education and discipline and family is unparalleled. Not to say they don't have a whole bunch of their own issues ....

I say....Thank God for our police force. Keep up the good work!
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 19:40
    I bet if you dissected those 1000 deaths you'd find a great majority were due to suspects being non compliant,
    That's OK then.
  6. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 20:00
    That's OK then.
    C'mon. Really?
    You missed my point. With well over 12 million arrests in the U.S. each year, there are going to be some deaths of suspects. Some accidental, some due to blatant racism, some due to mishandling of the situation, not following procedure, some due to a struggle between the two, some due to a rookie cop's inexperience...and yes...*gasp* ...some due to a police officer defending him/herself. (Although, perhaps you are "against" such a thing....?)

What is 1000 out of 12 mil? Like .0000000000000000000%?

We do not have a perfect system. Nor a perfect country.

If you are not happy here, you can live in China and safely commit crimes with no worries of being killed by their police officers 🙂

I am sure the low number you previously stated...of Chinese police officers killing suspects is SUPER accurate. lol So you will be safe there!

I, for one, would not steal a blade of grass in a Communist country...how about you?
  7. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 20:18
    C'mon. Really?
    You missed my point. With well over 12 million arrests in the U.S. each year, there are going to be some deaths of suspects. Some accidental, some due to blatant racism, some due to mishandling of the situation, not following procedure, some due to a struggle between the two, some due to a rookie cop's inexperience...and yes...*gasp* ...[text shortened]... e there!

I, for one, would not steal a blade of grass in a Communist country...how about you?
    You can't compare countries as you did. China, for example, does not allow its citizens to own guns, except for hunting. In our country - totally different. So our officers are at far greater risk with every stop. Far more chance of something going terribly wrong during an arrest. And more stress on our officers when you factor that worry in....

You made no reference to my observation on how a great majority of our youth are being raised (or I should say "not" raised) so I will assume you wholeheartedly agree with me and the correlation I drew 🙂
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 21:07
    C'mon. Really?
    You missed my point. With well over 12 million arrests in the U.S. each year, there are going to be some deaths of suspects. Some accidental, some due to blatant racism, some due to mishandling of the situation, not following procedure, some due to a struggle between the two, some due to a rookie cop's inexperience...and yes...*gasp* ...[text shortened]... e there!

0.0083 %

And they hunt bears and moose in Canada
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 21:52
    C'mon. Really?
    You missed my point.
    You missed the point of the OP.
    It doesn't condemn the police as individulas and neither would I.
    But the statistics indicate something is wrong with the system.

You have put forward a number of suggestions, I'm sure many are right.
  10. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 22:42
    You missed the point of the OP.
    It doesn't condemn the police as individulas and neither would I.
    But the statistics indicate something is wrong with the system.

You have put forward a number of suggestions, I'm sure many are right.
    Of course there is room for improvement in just about everything our country does. Never is it ok for a cop to execute a person - whether (s)he is innocent or not. No brainer here. Treat that cop like the common criminal that (s)he is.

While it is a sad when just one person is killed by a police officer for any reason, you can't just assume that it is always because there is something wrong with the "system" or the police. Sometimes that's it. But maybe there is something wrong with the person who just got himself arrested. Was that person high on drugs and did he reach for a possible weapon? If so, the police has every right to defend himself. Would this scenerio play out in China? Probably not. Our cops are faced with some variables that are not in those other countries, therefore, it is futile to compare them. And every one of those 1000 had circumstances that neither you nor I know of....

If you are non-compliant when an officer pulls you over...you need to know that the outcome may not be a good one for you. Do you deserve to die? No, but guess what? it could happen. So choose wisely. You put yourself (and the officer) at risk by not doing exactly as you instructed to do.

I feel badly for the 99.5% of cops who try to just go out and do the right thing day in and day out. And now their every move, their every twitch, their every utterance will give them pause. You can't have the an effective police force in this climate.
    Bottom line...comparing countries with those "stats" from The Washington Post as you did is only fair if you compare LOTS of other things as well. You can cherry pick any stat you want and have it come up favorable to your way of thinking.

Forget fixing "the system." Let's fix our kids. Teach your child to respect authority, to follow directions, to obey laws, to take responsibility for themselves, to do good in this world and maybe, just maybe our country would be in much better shape...
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 00:04
    . just maybe our country would be in much better shape...
    Your country. Not ours
  12. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 01:21
    [b]Your country. Not ours[/b]
    Didn't even know where your country was until I just checked now. lol

Why exactly do you care about my country?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 01:46
    Didn't even know where your country was until I just checked now. lol

Why exactly do you care about my country?
    I don't particularly "care" about the USA anymore than other countries.
    I am however interested in other countries.
    (A concept perhaps lost on parochial Americans.)

I do however care about the 1,000 odd shot by police in 2014.

You care about other countries & other people?
  14. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 01:55
    I don't particularly "care" about the USA anymore than other countries.
    I am however interested in other countries.
    (A concept perhaps lost on parochial Americans.)

I do however care about the 1,000 odd shot by police in 2014.

You care about other countries & other people?
    Sure do. But I don't rely on brief, random "facts" about countries and then draw comparisons to unrelated countries that have nothing to do with the United States.

I'm still scratching my head over your China reference. lol

I guess the U.S. should take some lessons from China?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 02:05
    1. Sure do. But I don't rely on brief, random "facts" about countries and then draw comparisons to unrelated countries that have nothing to do with the United States.
    2. I'm still scratching my head over your China reference. lol
    3. I guess the U.S. should take some lessons from China?
    1. Get some stts from "related countries" (whatever that might mean)

2. Practise your reading more and watch out for splinters. The reference is in the OP.

3. Good guess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree