1. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 18:33
    Irish American ,African American ,Spanish American never hear of people in the US referring to themselves as Anglo American .
    Unfashionable ?
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 18:59
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Irish American ,African American ,Spanish American never hear of people in the US referring to themselves as Anglo American .
    Unfashionable ?
    I could have grown up in America. As I remember, people (in the Midwest) called my parents Brits, which was fine by them. My sister and I were treated really kindly, and I think we both felt more American than British at one stage (although most of all we felt we were part of our own family). Though I never learnt that national anthem and didn't quite understand pledging allegiance to the flag every morning at school, I respected that that was the way things were done. We moved back to England in 1984 and I treasured my American memories for a long time. I don't know whether I would have ended up calling myself Anglo-American -- it's just too difficult to compute that answer, as I have not been back very much and have lost touch.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 19:21
    Unfashionable ?
    we prefer, "cracker", thank you very much...
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 19:23
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I could have grown up in America. As I remember, people (in the Midwest) called my parents Brits, which was fine by them. My sister and I were treated really kindly, and I think we both felt more American than British at one stage (although most of all we felt we were part of our own family). Though I never learnt that national anthem and didn't quit ...[text shortened]... ust too difficult to compute that answer, as I have not been back very much and have lost touch.
    I can only think of two types of hyphenated Canadians we hear used and that's English-Canadians and French-Canadians. We are a Bilingual nation...well officially anyway.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 19:24
    Unfashionable ?
    I am partly anglo-american but also partly not. I was actually born in France.
    My ancestry includes people who are Polish and Prussian, English, German, French and who knows what else.
    I wouldn't even know where to begin in using all of that to refer to myself.
    I am happy to be associated with these other countries through my roots or ancestry but I do not need to define myself by including them in what I call myself.
    Why on earth do I need to complicate things?

I do not owe loyalty or allegiance to any other country but America.
    This is where I choose to live, where I pay taxes and vote, and where I am a citizen.
    So I am simply an AMERICAN. I don't have any need to be more than that.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 20:26
    Americans are crazy and make little sense. Don't put too much thought into these matters.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 02:14
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Americans are crazy and make little sense. Don't put too much thought into these matters.
    It's hard to make sense of a melting pot of diversity. Probably why we're crazy. πŸ˜›
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 04:46
    Originally posted by josephw
    It's hard to make sense of a melting pot of diversity. Probably why we're crazy. πŸ˜›
    I thought the melting pot analogy alluded to taking many cultures
    and producing a single new one. The opposite of diversity.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 08:14
    Unfashionable ?
    Sorry, Anglo-American is not accredited victim group. No sympathy.
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 11:10
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I thought the melting pot analogy alluded to taking many cultures
    and producing a single new one. The opposite of diversity.
    There is no such thing as the melting pot. You can draw the lines between
    the ethnically separated areas of every city.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 11:13
    Originally posted by Seitse
    There is no such thing as the melting pot. You can draw the lines between
    the ethnically separated areas of every city.
    I had some melting pot a while back, smelled wonderful.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 11:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I had some melting pot a while back, smelled wonderful.
    With chili?
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 11:261 edit
    Perhaps America is more like a fondue. You dip different kinds of people in the America, they come out covered in America, and then you eat them.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 11:29
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    America
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 13:45
    Unfashionable ?
    WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) was popular back in the 60's. It had a vaguely negative connotation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree