1. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 21:20
    Originally posted by rookie54
    we prefer, "cracker", thank you very much...
    "craker " derogatory term for a white person ?
    Coming from England I have never heard this one ( I think I am about too, lol)
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 01:30
    Originally posted by phil3000
    "craker " derogatory term for a white person ?
    Coming from England I have never heard this one ( I think I am about too, lol)
    Me neither.
    So wiki to the rescue!
    Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a usually disparaging term
    for white people,[1] especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States.
    In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it is sometimes used
    in a neutral or positive context or self-descriptively with pride
    (see Florida cracker and Georgia cracker)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I thought the melting pot analogy alluded to taking many cultures
    and producing a single new one. The opposite of diversity.
    I think you're right, but there's a lot of talk about the diversity of the American culture. It's a melting pot of diversity under the same banner of freedom.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 00:33
    Originally posted by Seitse
    There is no such thing as the melting pot. You can draw the lines between
    the ethnically separated areas of every city.
    Just part of the process of melting. There are representative ethnicity in every segment of the American culture from the president on down. By and large. You can't expect a complete meltdown so early in the history of this country. We're just too young yet.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 01:53
    Originally posted by josephw
    Just part of the process of melting. There are representative ethnicity in every segment of the American culture from the president on down. By and large. You can't expect a complete meltdown so early in the history of this country. We're just too young yet.
    Australia is a whole heap younger than the US, and our population mix is just as varied, but we don't feel compelled to label our population with an extra tag to show ethnic origin. An Australian is an Australian or an Aussie, period. Labels are discriminatory.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 02:38
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Australia is a whole heap younger than the US, and our population mix is just as varied, but we don't feel compelled to label our population with an extra tag to show ethnic origin. An Australian is an Australian or an Aussie, period. Labels are discriminatory.
    And your inference is what? That Australians are better than Americans?

I think you misunderstand why we refer to our ethnic origins in our labeling. After all it is those of diverse ethnic origins that label themselves as such. What is wrong with that? We're all Americans here. There's nothing wrong with identifying oneself with his or her ethnic heritage. It's part of what makes America great.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 04:121 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Perhaps America is more like a fondue. You dip different kinds of people in the America, they come out covered in America, and then you eat them.

Best post I have read in years. Pure gold.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 07:15
    @josephw read what @kewpie wrote. your argument sounds like the "moderates"
    during slavery: yeah, the blacks are human but they are just not ready yet to be
    free, they need to evolve a bit more.

true story.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 12:09
    Originally posted by Seitse
    @josephw read what @kewpie wrote. your argument sounds like the "moderates"
    during slavery: yeah, the blacks are human but they are just not ready yet to be
    free, they need to evolve a bit more.

true story.
    I don't get your point.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    And your inference is what? That Australians are better than Americans?

I think you misunderstand why we refer to our ethnic origins in our labeling. After all it is those of diverse ethnic origins that label themselves as such. What is wrong with that? We're all Americans here. There's nothing wrong with identifying oneself with his or her ethnic heritage. It's part of what makes America great.
    This I agree with. It's just the way American culture is, it's not an indicator of discrimination, even though it would be seen that way in other countries (nevertheless it seems clear from a multitude of reliable sources that discrimination is quite a problem in America).
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 17:26
    Originally posted by Crowley
    [b]Perhaps America is more like a fondue. You dip different kinds of people in the America, they come out covered in America, and then you eat them.

Best post I have read in years. Pure gold.[/b]
    😀
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 18:15
    This I agree with. It's just the way American culture is, it's not an indicator of discrimination, even though it would be seen that way in other countries (nevertheless it seems clear from a multitude of reliable sources that discrimination is quite a problem in America).
    I agree, it is. Maybe more or less than it is elsewhere. Plus, I don't think it's getting any better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree