1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 01:46
    My son Troy just got what might be described as a stroke, a broken blood vessel in his brain. They could not deal with him at the local hospital and he was medivac'd to Jefferson Hospital in Philly, apparently one of the best for neurological problems. In their ER is when the vessel blew and they were right there in 5 minutes he was being operated on, they had an ER operating room in the hospital, something unusual in itself.

So he lucked out in many ways. The patient in the ER room right next to him had the exact same problem but died in ER. Troy was young, only 40 and that helped a lot.

It seems the root cause was a long period where his blood pressure was through the roof, like 280/150 or so for extended periods of time so the bottom line is everyone should check their blood pressure now and again and if they see it getting high, deal with it, don't put it off like Troy did.

It could save your life.

I guess the term for what he had was a stroke.
    They first thought it was an aneurysm which is like a massive stroke, which is what my guitar teacher died from, Mike Stewart, AKA Backwards Sam Firk, died at his breakfast table in front of his wife and children, died instantly.

These strokes can be very small, medium or large and I guess he had a medium variety. Troy, that is.

He is in and out of consciousness so he is still critical and will be bound for a rehabilitation hospital after he gets stabilized, which he doesn't know yet.

So the family all visited him today, we may go back tomorrow and will go on Saturday.

We haven't had much luck on the medical front. Our daughter in law just had a cancerous kidney removed and my wife has been in and out of hospital several times this year with asthma, bad asthma where she spends 2 weeks at a time, stuffed with steroids, gets better, goes home, a couple months later same cycle.

I on the other hand, have been disgustingly healthy for which I am eternally grateful.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 01:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My son Troy just got what might be described as a stroke, a broken blood vessel in his brain. They could not deal with him at the local hospital and he was medivac'd to Jefferson Hospital in Philly, apparently one of the best for neurological problems. In their ER is when the vessel blew and they were right there in 5 minutes he was being operated on, they ...[text shortened]... cycle.

I on the other hand, have been disgustingly healthy for which I am eternally grateful.
    I know my choice of sentiments are against your convictions, brother, but my prayers are with Troy, you and your family.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 02:231 edit
    My son Troy just got what might be described as a stroke, a broken blood vessel in his brain. They could not deal with him at the local hospital and he was medivac'd to Jefferson Hospital in Philly, apparently one of the best for neurological problems. In their ER is when the vessel blew and they were right there in 5 minutes he was being operated on, they ...[text shortened]... cycle.

sonhouse, I share Freaky's honest sentiments and will also pray for Troy and your family.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 02:36
    I wish your family well.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 02:461 edit
    That's roughly 5 psi Systolic. I'm sorry to hear this, but happy you haven't lost him. Also sad to hear of your troubles. Hang in there and things usually get better.
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 06:13
    I wish you and your family well, trust all works out for the best.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 06:55
    My son Troy ......
    Thank god for modern science!
    Hope all goes well Sonhouse.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 08:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thank god for modern science!
    Hope all goes well Sonhouse.
    Thank you everyone.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Jun '14 09:481 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 22:35
    Thank you everyone.
    Any update on their status?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 13:43
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Any update on their status?
    Yesterday he was up and walking around a bit under supervision, he still has a lot of IV's hooked up and the brain drain. The doc's are saying his improvement is perhaps enough to at least think about taking off the drain. So some good news on that front.
  12. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 14:25
    ... So some good news on that front.
    great to hear of improment and hope. Lets hope things will improve further.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 16:551 edit
    Yesterday he was up and walking around a bit under supervision, he still has a lot of IV's hooked up and the brain drain. The doc's are saying his improvement is perhaps enough to at least think about taking off the drain. So some good news on that front.
    sonhouse, your son Troy is so very fortunate to have received such excellent medical care for the "broken blood vessel in his brain." Has his exceptionally high blood pressure been reduced to lower risk normal levels? Thank you for this update.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree