21 May '14 00:401 edit
    I need something to cheer me up.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '14 02:07
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    What country are you in or do you have unlimited access to the best stuff from everywhere?
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 May '14 02:11
    I like the old TV shows. Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, The Rifleman etc.
  4. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    21 May '14 02:43
    Duck Dynasty.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 May '14 03:39
    Big Bang Theory
    Graham Norton (UK chat show)
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 May '14 04:23
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Big Bang Theory
    Graham Norton (UK chat show)
    BBT is a good one. 🙂
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 May '14 04:34
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Duck Dynasty.
    Hi, I have a beard and a gun and I make duck calls. 🙂
    Love the show.
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    21 May '14 07:01
    The Vicar of Dibley, 1994-2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vicar_of_Dibley

It may not have been shown in America so here's an introduction:

YouTube
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '14 07:581 edit
    Veep ~ now in its 3rd season. Watch it from the start. Based on the UK 'Thick Of It' which is probably funnier for Brits, but Julia Louis-Dreyfus and ensemble cast all excellent ~ political satire.

Ali.G.Rezurection ~ repackaged highlights of the 10 year old series. If you thought he was hit-or-miss these compilations gather together the hits nicely.

Doll And Em ~ 6 part UK comedy about famous actress and childhood friend, one of these based-on-improvisations comedies that the Brits like to do. Touching. Observant.

Elementary ~ season 2 just concluded ~ a new Sherlock Homes. Some humour.

Inside.Amy.Schumer ~ now 2nd season ~ full-contact rude humour most of which is sex related. Quite insightful in places. But raw ~ be warned.

Inside.No.9. ~ UK ~ 6 separate dramas ~ odd ~ some humour {Roald Dahl-ish maybe} ~ all written and starting the same two guys who were in the League Of Gentlemen [odd UK comedy series]

Rake ~ the Australian version ~ 3rd and final series just finished. Richard Roxburgh plays a lovable rogue lawyer ~ but is he lovable? There is now a one off US version of the series [cancelled after a half series] with Greg Kinear ~ OK, but the Aussie one is the real thing.

Mom ~ 1st season now finished ~ superior US sitcom ~ may get even better. This looks very conventional but there are top notch performances [Allison Janney ~ of West Wing fame ~ just brilliant!] and sparkling script. Three generations of wildchild teenage moms... 2nd series in the pipeline.

Nurse Jackie ~ now in 6th season ~ gritty, thought-provoking, amoral! Some critics seem underwhelmed but this is a good series and a career high role for Edie Falco who was in The Sopranos.

Review.With.Forrest.MacNeil ~ just 9 episodes ~ he reviews "life" ~ offbeat stuff based on an obscure Australian series. He experiences bits of life suggested by his audience and then reviews them. These bits include getting divorced, being a racist, becoming a sexoholic and much more. Funny.

Sirens ~ new series half way into 1st series, about ambulance crew ~ superior script, great performances by a nice trio of central characters ~ could be a hit... could run and run.

The.Crazy.Ones ~ good IF you like Robin Williams

The.Trip.To.Italy. ~ 6 bouts of nattering with Steve Coogan and that Rob guy ~ follow up to the one set in the UK highlands

Trophy.Wife ~ comfortably above average US sitcom with interesting women characters front & centre. Strangely cancelled after just one series but I reckon it's a good.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 May '14 09:24
    Louie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_(TV_series)
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 May '14 09:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Veep ~ now in its 3rd season. Watch it from the start. Based on the UK 'Thick Of It' which is probably funnier for Brits, but Julia Louis-Dreyfus and ensemble cast all excellent ~ political satire.

The.Trip.To.Italy. ~ 6 bouts of nattering with Steve Coogan and that Rob guy ~ follow up to the one set in the UK highlands
    Ja, really good.

Haven't seen the rest you recommended, which I've added to my list.
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:113 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What country are you in or do you have unlimited access to the best stuff from everywhere?

Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm in the UK. I have access to the Amazon streaming service, plus 3 disc rentals per month, as well as a Sky+ HD box with catch up TV for several channels (BBC, ITV, 4, E4, etc .) but none of the premium 'packages'.

Likes and favourites:

HIGNFY
    Frasier and Cheers
    30 Rock
    House
    Only Fools and Horses
    Clive Anderson Talks Back
    Whose Line is it Anyway?
    A Bit of Fry and Laurie
    Blackadder
    Yes, (Prime) Minister
    KYTV
    Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy
    That Mitchell and Webb Look
    Fawlty Towers
    The Good Life
    Monty Python
    Drop The Dead Donkey
    The Two Ronnies
    QI
    Episodes
    Roseanne
    Ab Fab
    Allo' Allo
    Would I Lie To You
    The Thick of It

Quite like/appeciate, but something makes me uneasy or queasy

The Day Today
    Brass Eye
    most things starring Steve Coogan
    The Fast Show
    The Comic Strip
    Big Train
    The Royle Family

Watchable

Red Dwarf
    The Vicar of Dibley
    Father Ted
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Simpsons
    Friends
    The IT Crowd
    Dad's Army
    Mock the Week

Dislike

Nighty Night
    The Brittas Empire
    anything on BBC Three
    The Office
    Rab. C Nesbitt
    Alf Garnett
    Black Books
    Rev
    Shameless
    New Girl
    Two and a Half Men
    Extras
    Bottom

I had a look at Warren United (weak, for English football [soccer] fans only), and the US series Brooklyn Nine-Nine last night. The latter had some laugh-out-loud moments but was also pretty ordinary at times. I'd watch it again, though.
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:19
    Originally posted by FMF

Ali.G.Rezurection ~ repackaged highlights of the 10 year old series. If you thought he was hit-or-miss these compilations gather together the hits nicely.

Doll ...[text shortened]... n characters front & centre. Strangely cancelled after just one series but I reckon it's a good.
    These are great suggestions, thanks. While I don't like Ali G or The Trip, some of the others look like they might be hidden gems.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:30
    Louie looks worth watching based on the IMDB user score. US comedies seem to me to be equalling or overtaking British ones in quality—I hope someone asks some stiff questions in Parliament about this.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:41
    Louie looks worth watching based on the IMDB user score. US comedies seem to me to be equalling or overtaking British ones in quality—I hope someone asks some stiff questions in Parliament about this.
    Louie's really good. Season 4 just on now. Season 1 is very different from the others - it improves from Season 2. Don't expect a linear story line each episode though.

If you can stomach Danny McBride, Eastbound and Down started off OK. I only got to Season 1 though, to be fair.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree