1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 May '19 03:54
    It might be a nice diversion to psychoanalyze you in public and then move on to a broader discussion of Britain's social ills.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '19 04:06
    @fmf said
    It might be a nice diversion to psychoanalyze you in public and then move on to a broader discussion of Britain's social ills.
    It might be, if one had the slightest idea what you're talking about.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 May '19 04:24
    @suzianne said
    It might be, if one had the slightest idea what you're talking about.
    One doesn't have the slightest idea what tower blocks are?
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:002 edits
    @fmf said
    I would never have coped with living in a tower block.

Was your thread partly inspired by this recent photographic exhibition of Soviet-era buildings in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan?

https://www.calvertjournal.com/features/show/11123/fuel-soviet-central-asia-architecture-photography-roberto-conte-stefano-perego-extract
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:17
    @fmf said
    One doesn't have the slightest idea what tower blocks are?
    Nope, one does not. Although British English is a strange beast. It could be something I'm familiar with, but with a different name. Confidence of that, though, is low.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:20
    @fmf said
    My parents were on a waiting list but we never made it.
    My uncles, aunts and cousins lived in tower blocks in Tottenham, North London.

I was always jealous when we visited because
    they had a plumbed in bath and a fitted kitchen.
    They all bought their flats in the 80s.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:231 edit
    @drewnogal said
    I would never have coped with living in a tower block.
    I once lived on the second floor (i.e. the third floor for you Americans) of an inner-London Edwardian terrace. That was the highest off the ground I ever lived aside from my halls of residence at university where I had a room on the third (U.S. 4th floor) floor in my first year.

I lived in a caravan for a few weeks when I was 7 years old because there was a mix up with the people vacating the house we were to move into down south, and we'd irreversibly moved out of the house in Manchester. That was a one storey caravan.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:24
    It appears that the topic here is called, in America, by the rather ordinary name of 'apartment building', although I confess there could be more to the description. In highly populated urban areas, sometimes these are referred to as simply 'the projects', and are meant as low-income housing.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:25
    @drewnogal said
    Was your thread partly inspired by this recent photographic exhibition of Soviet-era buildings in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan?
    No, I've spent this morning doing some preparation for a radio programme about the tower blocks 'era' in British cities in the 60s.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:30
    @wolfgang59 said
    My parents were on a waiting list but we never made it.
    My uncles, aunts and cousins lived in tower blocks in Tottenham, North London.

I was always jealous when we visited because
    they had a plumbed in bath and a fitted kitchen.
    They all bought their flats in the 80s.
    I had a good friend who lived in Trelick Tower, Kensal Town, London, just up the road from where I lived. It was kind of grotty in its public areas and a wee bit scary late at night or in the early hours - if coming and going - but my friend's flat was a very cosy den on the 27th floor. Great view too.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 May '19 05:36
    @suzianne said
    It appears that the topic here is called, in America, by the rather ordinary name of 'apartment building', although I confess there could be more to the description.
    Flats - or apartment buildings - in Britain could be just two storeys, or maybe even just all on the ground floor [not sure about this]. I'm not sure how many storeys a build has to have to qualify as a "tower block", six, eight? You could call them "high rise" flats too, I suppose.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 May '19 06:12
    @fmf said
    Flats - or apartment buildings - in Britain could be just two storeys, or maybe even just all on the ground floor [not sure about this]. I'm not sure how many storeys a build has to have to qualify as a "tower block", six, eight? You could call them "high rise" flats too, I suppose.
    Yeah, "tower block" is a bit arbitrary but I think
    6 floors will always qualify, maybe even 4? (G,1,2,3)

I think the footprint influences the description too.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '19 07:04
    @fmf said

I lived in a caravan for a few weeks when I was 7 years old because there was a mix up with the people vacating the house we were to move into down south, and we'd irreversibly moved out of the house in Manchester. That was a one storey caravan.
    We call these mobile homes, or trailers, and we stayed in one in North Carolina for about 9 months when I was 8 or 9. There was a shortage of housing in the area for military families, so they just rented half the park and we stayed there with some other families nearby. I remember some multi-family barbecues while we were there. This was just before we moved to Phoenix.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '19 07:20
    @fmf said
    I spent one year, nine months actually living from in a room on the top floor of “the tower” at University Halls, Cardiff. I could see the both Severn bridges from sitting on my bed and the views across to Somerset and Avon were spectacular.

In the next room there was a cute redhead studying medicine.
    I mention this only as a footnote to add a pulpy dimension to my postcard from another time.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 May '19 08:05

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree