Arguing with idiots …

Arguing with idiots …

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
21 May 23

@great-big-stees said
Perhaps it, “green thumb”, comes from when someone wore green gloves when gardening.🤔
It comes from the ancient Egyptians who used copper watering cans for watering their herbs. The copper turned green and some rubbed off onto their fingers and thumbs.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 May 23

@the-gravedigger said
It comes from the ancient Egyptians who used copper watering cans for watering their herbs. The copper turned green and some rubbed off onto their fingers and thumbs.
Thanks, Digger. I actually learned something from a thread devoted to arguing with idiots. Wonders never cease.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
24 May 23

@moonbus said
Thanks, Digger. I actually learned something from a thread devoted to arguing with idiots. Wonders never cease.
What I’ve just learned is that you’ll believe anything if it’s written on the internet.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 May 23

@divegeester said
What I’ve just learned is that you’ll believe anything if it’s written on the internet.
Some sources claim it goes back the Edward I, who liked green peas; others say it was popularised in the UK in the early 1900s. Take yer pick. Personally, I like to think the Egyptians bequeathed to posterity something more than dead pharaohs.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
24 May 23

@moonbus said Personally, I like to think the Egyptians bequeathed to posterity something more than dead pharaohs.
Personally I think you were taking a cheap shot at my humorous OP, so I took one at your attempt to do so.

Regarding posterity, look up “Pyramids of Giza” and see if find any references to copper watering cans.

F

Moves
24 May 23

Gardening, like numbers, toothbrushes, jurisprudence, algebra, and surgery, was invented in the Islamic world and green is the colour of Islam: hence, the notion of a "green thumb".

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 May 23
1 edit

@divegeester said
Personally I think you were taking a cheap shot at my humorous OP, so I took one at your attempt to do so.

Regarding posterity, look up “Pyramids of Giza” and see if find any references to copper watering cans.
Sez the Grand Master of the cheap shot.

New avatar, I see.

Moves
24 May 23

@moonbus said

New avatar, I see.
I note you’ve been bequeathed one of those Egyptian/Islamic/English digits.👍This one’s faded.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
24 May 23

@moonbus said

New avatar, I see.
Now don’t get upset.

Yes, I now identify as indestructible.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 May 23

@divegeester said
Now don’t get upset.

Yes, I now identify as indestructible.
Well, now that we know where green thumbs come from, perhaps you’d like to tell us where red ones come from. You seem to be quite adept at reaping them.

PS Congratulations on becoming impregnable.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
24 May 23

@moonbus said
Well, now that we know where green thumbs come from, perhaps you’d like to tell us where red ones come from. You seem to be quite adept at reaping them.

Did you say the gooster was pregnant? 🙂 Or not able to get pregnant? 🙂

-VR

F

Moves
24 May 23

@moonbus said

perhaps you’d like to tell us where red ones come from

The thumbers are anonymous: courtesy of this website's only For Adolescents feature.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 May 23

@very-rusty said
Did you say the gooster was pregnant? 🙂 Or not able to get pregnant? 🙂

-VR
I dare say, no one would dare to try.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 May 23
1 edit

@fmf said

The thumbers are anonymous: courtesy of this website's only For Adolescents feature.
Well, that's good news. You used to think they were infantile. Now they're adolescent. Give them time, they'll grow on you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 May 23

@fmf said

I thought you claimed to never use it?