1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 09:55
    Have you ever- do you have any good advice?
    It's something similar to a payrise that I am going to ask for, but it's not that. It's a key contract change.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 12:02
    Originally posted by yo its me
    It's something similar to a payrise that I am going to ask for, but it's not that. It's a key contract change.
    What's in it for them?

If it is gain neutral for them then it may be fine as long as they are not an idiot. If it is gain negative, then it's probably not going to happen unless you have some workplace or HR law behind you.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 12:28
    Spill the beans: what contract change?

Non-competition? Sole occupation? IPRs?
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 16:07
    If anyone has been a contractor and is in the mood for helping me, please PM me. I need to ask my boss for something that gives me security but dosen't really advantage the company. Hoping I can word my request in a way that feels like advantage to both.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 16:17
    If anyone has been a contractor and is in the mood for helping me, please PM me. I need to ask my boss for something that gives me security but dosen't really advantage the company. Hoping I can word my request in a way that feels like advantage to both.
    Do you think you are good at your job? Do you think you are better than others that do the same thing within the organization you've contracted to? Can you "afford" to broach the subject? If yes to all I'd say talk to them.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 19:48
    Happy to proof read anything you write old chap. Need to convey how it makes good business sense to keep you happy in your job. Timing of course is also critical. Pick your moment.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 21:01
    Don't be a cheapo. I charge €250/hour for these matters. At least have the
    decency of putting it out there, in the open, for lulz and stuff.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Feb '16 21:32
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Don't be a cheapo. I charge €250/hour for these matters. At least have the
    decency of putting it out there, in the open, for lulz and stuff.
    Honestly it's not that exciting.
    It's a complicated structure and I don't know if the variation I want can happen, but what I was asking was more experienced advice on asking a boss for something. You know, like is there a good way to do that?
    Usually what I want to ask for is straightforward and obvious (holiday time, expenses cleared, new resources, to be booked on training) and I just state it.
    This is different and I don't want to be pushy in a bad way..... But equally I don't want to carry on with things as they are.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 01:06
    Be prepared to tell your boss you'll quit if you don't get what you want. Have another job lined up before you do. That was always my strategy.
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 07:17
    Honestly it's not that exciting.
    It's a complicated structure and I don't know if the variation I want can happen, but what I was asking was more experienced advice on asking a boss for something. You know, like is there a good way to do that?
    Usually what I want to ask for is straightforward and obvious (holiday time, expenses cleared, new resources, to ...[text shortened]... want to be pushy in a bad way..... But equally I don't want to carry on with things as they are.
    You're circling around. I am a qualified solicitor and an experienced negotiator.
    The reason I am asking is because it all depends on what is it that you are
    asking. Can it be leveraged? Are there precedents in collective bargaining?
    Is it an industry practice? Does it impact your wellbeing? Does it impact the
    business operations? etc.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 19:09
    You're circling around. I am a qualified solicitor and an experienced negotiator.
    Well, I asked and the answer was no. So that's that.
    No options, the idea I had was not possible to implement.
    He sympathised with my predicament but it's just not possible & there I am.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 20:011 edit
    Collective bargaining is almost dead in America, thanks to Ronald Reagan. He started that snowball rolling 30 years ago, and by now, unions are just weak at the bargaining table. Corporations aren't likely to want to share their profits with the line workers who made them that money.

(I doubt yo its me is in America, but still, the point holds. )
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 05:26
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Collective bargaining is almost dead in America, thanks to Ronald Reagan. He started that snowball rolling 30 years ago, and by now, unions are just weak at the bargaining table. Corporations aren't likely to want to share their profits with the line workers who made them that money.

(I doubt yo its me is in America, but still, the point holds. )
    Bleh, he blew it. Oh well...

Luckily, 90% of work positions here in Scandinavia are unionized, so even
    non-unionized workers can use parallels to bargain, in soft negotiations at
    least.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree