1. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    06 May '19 21:21
    If you declare bankruptcy can they go after your paycheck and garnish your wages?
    What happens after bankruptcy?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    06 May '19 21:37
    @chessturd said
    If you declare bankruptcy can they go after your paycheck and garnish your wages?
    i am a certified lawyer...
    CID, OVR, pPud...
    you'll need to set up an appointment and come in to my office...
  3. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    06 May '19 21:41
    I'm not falling for that again rookie.
    The cops still come by to this day asking questions.
  4. Right here
    Moves
    06 May '19 21:56
    @chessturd said
    To have your bankruptcy filing accepted, your lawyer has a standard worksheet outlining all of your debts, basic living costs and income(s).
    After verifying the accuracy of those three categories, whatever is left over between income and basic living costs is the amount your attorney would request the court to accept in order to pay the debt obligations under your bankruptcy filing.
    (An exception to paying back is the Chapter 7, but passing the means test is required.)
    The court then orders your employer to garnish that amount from your wages until such time that the time limit or all of the debts have been satisfied--- as little as 36 months, but usually 60 months in Chapter 13's.
    Following the satisfaction of the time or amount, the court issues a discharge which declares your debts absolved.
    You are now free to start rebuilding your credit.
    Keep in mind: credit scores fade to dust.
    You may find yourself with no credit score at all which is problematic in then trying to build on!
    There are several ways around that, but it's critical to know that the five years frugally spent paying off your obligations is going to be the first leg.
    Getting a leg up before you have to is key.

Filing again after a bankruptcy gets a bit dicey, too, so just as with this potential filing you want to be forewarned with as much of the complete picture as possible, i.e., an attorney.

Here's a website with more information:
    https://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/bankruptcy

Good luck.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 May '19 21:58
    @freekeynomore said
    To have your bankruptcy filing accepted, your lawyer has a standard worksheet outlining all of your debts, basic living costs and income(s).
    After verifying the accuracy of those three categories, whatever is left over between income and basic living costs is the amount your attorney would request the court to accept in order to pay the debt obligations under your bank ...[text shortened]... s a website with more information:
    https://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/bankruptcy

Good luck.
    That is the way it is done in England....chessturd had a Canadian flag up, same thing apply?

-VR
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '19 08:59
    @very-rusty said
    That is the way it is done in England....chessturd had a Canadian flag up, same thing apply?

-VR
    its very popular with young couples in the uk, 4 years after bankrupcy you can start getting credit again.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '19 09:36
    @chessturd said
    I had a builder go bust on me 10 years back taking me for £23,000, he and his son a daughter who were all directors drew £150k eack out in the november knowing they were going under they went bust in the following january the whole family had sold up and moved to spain, I got my V,A.T back on the 23k and 20p in the pound about 3 years later.
  8. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    07 May '19 10:59
    @FreeKeyNoMore

Thanks! 😉
  9. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    07 May '19 11:00
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Good question 🤔
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 May '19 11:49
    @chessturd said
    Good question 🤔
    The op who answered the question is probably not familiar with Canadian Law.

-VR
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 May '19 12:421 edit
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    I think it depends on the (a) Mountie that is owed.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 May '19 12:45
    In the US we have two kinds of bankruptcy one that wipes out all debt the other that simply restructures the debt but you still pay it back.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 May '19 14:19
    @eladar said
    In the US we have two kinds of bankruptcy one that wipes out all debt the other that simply restructures the debt but you still pay it back.
    Yes, I think it pretty much works that way here also. Maybe a question my accountant might be able to answer. If not my lawyer could answer it for sure.

-VR
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 May '19 20:41
    @chessturd said
    What sort of garnish are you hoping for? Parsley? A sprig of oleander?
  15. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    07 May '19 20:44
    Anything but celantro ☹️
    I'm allergic I think.
    It makes my mouth feel like it's being electrocuted.
    Like when you put your tongue on a 9 volt battery.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree