1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:10
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43105168

Malaysia wishes wrong New Year with a barking rooster

The Malaysian government is facing ridicule after it took out a full-page advert to celebrate the Lunar New Year - featuring a barking rooster.

The Year of the Rooster - based on the Chinese zodiac - has just ended, giving way to the Year of the Dog.

The trade ministry's advert wished people a prosperous Year of the Dog - but showed a rooster emitting a dog's bark in Chinese.

The ministry apologised for the "technical error".

The cultural quagmire is complicated by a view held by some Malaysian Muslims that dogs are unclean animals.

Earlier this week, Reuters reported that Malaysian businesses were ignoring or playing down canine symbols - to avoid offending the Muslim majority. Ethnic Chinese make up about a quarter of the country's population.

That led many to think that the advert printed in Chinese language newspapers was a misguided attempt to avoid a picture of a dog - whether it made sense or not.
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:24
    I guess it's going to be a "ruff" New Year in Malaysia
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 14:12
    Well now, Dog gone. That's something to row about.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 17:05
    It's a dog's world after all.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 17:37
    Whoa, somebody cocked that up!
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 03:40
    Where will it all lead?
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 18:54
    In hanoi they had a massive rooster bush to celebrate... talking about birds, saw a little one looking very lost and confused today 🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree