YouTube
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Sep '19 20:33
    @wolfgang59 said
    At his best.
    [youtube]FEpIaFXm8k0[/youtube]
    He enunciates as if he thought everyone else in the House were near-deaf non-native speakers.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Sep '19 21:55
    @moonbus said
    He enunciates as if he thought everyone else in the House were near-deaf non-native speakers.
    Clarity and gravitas.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 07:17
    @wolfgang59 said
    Clarity and gravitas.
    Privilege and an expensive education.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 08:17
    @divegeester said
    Hardly.
    His dad was a taxi-driver and he went to a
    Comprehensive School followed by Essex University.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 08:561 edit
    @divegeester said
    Not like BoJo then, or Rees Mogg.
    The reason he enunciates and raises his voice is so that he can be heard above the braying of the Donkeys.
    It’s not the speakers job to be impartial, it’s the speakers job to make sure that everyone gets to voice their opinion regardless of what the front benches want to hear or debate. It is his job to be non partisan.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 09:40
    @wolfgang59 said
    Hardly.
    His dad was a taxi-driver and he went to a
    Comprehensive School followed by Essex University.
    Acknowledged and corrected.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 09:42
    @kevcvs57 said
    Not like BoJo then, or Rees Mogg.
    The reason he enunciates and raises his voice is so that he can be heard above the braying of the Donkeys.
    It’s not the speakers job to be impartial, it’s the speakers job to make sure that everyone gets to voice their opinion regardless of what the front benches want to hear or debate. It is his job to be non partisan.
    You seem to think I’m an apologiser for those people, I’m not.

Yes the speakers job is to be carried out with impartiality.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 10:53
    @divegeester said

No Im asserting that Bercow’s class and educational history are not relevant and that claims that he’s misjudged his role because he facilitated parliament’s voice to be heard over a front bench clique who wished to dismiss that voice is ridiculous.
    He has done his job in exactly the right manner and from what he said recently he will continue in that manner until the 31st of October. I think he will be regarded as an exemplary speaker once the dust settles on this Brexit business.
    This is an important issue, the same press and politicians that are gunning for Bercow are also ‘bumping their gums’ about the judiciary if they are impudent enough not to judge in favour of the hard line Brexiteer campaign. And it’s not something civil society can or should take lightly.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 10:58
    @divegeester said

“Yes the speakers job is to be carried out with impartiality”
    No it’s not, I’ve explained what the speakers job is, how can they be impartial when one part of the house is intent on shutting the rest of the house up. Their job is to facilitate full and frank debate about matters pertaining to the house, like say a ‘No Deal Brexit.
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 13:20
    For clarity:

'The political impartiality of the Speaker is one of the office’s most important features – and most emulated or aspired to outside the UK. Once elected, the Speaker severs all ties with his or her former party and is in all aspects of the job a completely non-partisan figure.'

www.parliament.uk
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 13:402 edits
    @kevcvs57 said
    No Im asserting that Bercow’s class and educational history are not relevant and that claims that he’s misjudged his role because he facilitated parliament’s voice to be heard over a front bench clique who wished to dismiss that voice is ridiculous.
    He has done his job in exactly the right manner and from what he said recently he will continue in that manner until the 31st ...[text shortened]... f the hard line Brexiteer campaign. And it’s not something civil society can or should take lightly.
    Yes I know what you were saying and yes I have already agreed that by and large he has been a good speaker. I made my balanced thoughts on where Bercow went wrong pretty clearly in the debates version of this topic and you should be debating there and respecting the the wishes of the OP.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 13:42
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    For clarity:

'The political impartiality of the Speaker is one of the office’s most important features – and most emulated or aspired to outside the UK. Once elected, the Speaker severs all ties with his or her former party and is in all aspects of the job a completely non-partisan figure.'

www.parliament.uk
    Exactly.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Sep '19 15:12
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    For clarity:

www.parliament.uk
    But that is only if the government is abiding by procedures that are reasonably and tacitly agreed upon. When this present government moved away from that the speaker could not remain impartial and still fulfil his primary role. That of facilitating debate on matters pertinent to the House of Commons like say, a No Deal Brexit and a government determined to stop any debate in the house.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree