situation or person.

I'm a sucker for German Shepherds since childhood but,
    surprisingly, my back is watched right now by a tiny, tiny
    little furry fellow. I love that guy: a huge dog by heart, just
    in small package.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 08:12
    I have an affinity with pugs. My own dog is half pug, half terrier. He has a character larger than any Great Dane, completely fearless and always on the look out for something to eat.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 08:32
    I've owned 2 German Shepherd dogs. They are beautiful intelligent dogs who need lots of space and very active owners who will give them lots of individual attention. I used to feel safe when out drawing with them. I also had a Patterdale terrier bitch from the dog rescue centre who rested her head on my leg as I drove her home. She was the sweetest most devoted thing who leapt all over me and licked me when I returned home from work, she loved to curl up and sleep on my lap, was great at a game of hide and seek and would chase our neighbour's cats out of the garden at a command. She was very good when my children were born and never got jealous of them.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 08:50
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I have an affinity with pugs. My own dog is half pug, half terrier. He has a character larger than any Great Dane, completely fearless and always on the look out for something to eat.
    Cool! How's the energy level on that little rascal?
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 08:51
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    I've owned 2 German Shepherd dogs. They are beautiful intelligent dogs who need lots of space and very active owners who will give them lots of individual attention. I used to feel safe when out drawing with them. I also had a Patterdale terrier bitch from the dog rescue centre who rested her head on my leg as I drove her home. She was the sweetest most de ...[text shortened]... garden at a command. She was very good when my children were born and never got jealous of them.
    Was? Is she... gone? :'(
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 11:01
    I don't think there is a single best breed, though some breeds fit better to some owners.

I was born in Texas, but the neighborhood families would not let their kids play with me because my parents were northerners (Texans were still fighting the civil war in the 1950s). So, my parents got me a dog and he was my best friend until he died. Bullmastiff. Awesome dog, awesome breed. Powerful, fearless, even-tempered, protective of family and home, great with kids. Never mess with a bullmastiff.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bullmastiffs.html
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 11:161 edit
    Terriers.
    Relatively easy to care for, cost effective and bags of attitude.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 11:35
    Wait a sec... who would thumb down these posts?!?!
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 11:37
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I don't think there is a single best breed, though some breeds fit better to some owners.

I was born in Texas, but the neighborhood families would not let their kids play with me because my parents were northerners (Texans were still fighting the civil war in the 1950s). So, my parents got me a dog and he was my best friend until he died. Bullmastiff. Awe ...[text shortened]... ds. Never mess with a bullmastiff.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bullmastiffs.html
    Those are handsome chaps. I've heard they're great with children and your experience seems to corroborate it. What was his name?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 12:28
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Those are handsome chaps. I've heard they're great with children and your experience seems to corroborate it. What was his name?
    His name was Sabin, taken from the name of his mother, Sabina. Champion show dogs, both. He was very gentle with children but if a stranger set foot on the property, his woof rattled the windows and the hearts of the stoutest men.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 12:481 edit
    Street dogs, who loves you coz you saved their ars.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 13:581 edit
    I have an English Setter .
    Must be one of the hardest dogs to train when they are young ,spent most of my time chasing after him ( I lost about 2 stone in weight ).
    What a fantastic ,lovely friendly breed they are .
    He's knocking on a bit now and spends most of his time snoozing on the settee .
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 15:12
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Cool! How's the energy level on that little rascal?
    He's getting a bit long in the tooth now (15) but was full of beans most of his life. (Especially when it came to horses or cows). Fortunately I was always slightly quicker.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 16:06
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I have an English Setter .
    Must be one of the hardest dogs to train when they are young ,spent most of my time chasing after him ( I lost about 2 stone in weight ).
    What a fantastic ,lovely friendly breed they are .
    He's knocking on a bit now and spends most of his time snoozing on the settee .
    That's a handsome looking fella

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/english-setter#/slide/1
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 16:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    He's getting a bit long in the tooth now (15) but was full of beans most of his life. (Especially when it came to horses or cows). Fortunately I was always slightly quicker.
    Oh crap, 15 is quite an advance age.

I'm happy you enjoyed the hairy chap all those years. I guess it's your turn now to look after him.

Only thing I hate about having a dog in one's life is that it aches like a b!tch when they're gone. I've always felt mine like family members, you know?

In many aspects, I say, a dog beats a human as companion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree