1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 16:49
    OK. I'm doing a prose competition. Here's the rules.

750 words max.

Topic: "I had the strangest day..."
    [You may disregard the topic and write freestyle; however, it's going to cost you 2 points.]

PM your entries to me. There's a limit of 2 entries max per author.

I will collect the entries, which are due by July 1 at 12am, GMT-6 time.

The entries will be posted in a new thread, without author names. (I will not be entering a piece, as I think the director should not participate in their own event.)

Two weeks will be given for reading and voting. Anyone may vote, including authors; however, authors may not vote for their own piece(s).

IMPORTANT change from the existing RHP prose competition format: voting will be anonymous. This prevents any voting aimed at steering the total scores in a certain direction. I want the votes to be based solely on the merit of the pieces!

[People who disregard this rule and vote in the public forum will not have their vote counted, nor will they be able to send in an anonymous vote after the public post, even if it differs from the public post.]

I will give updates as to the number people who have voted as they come in, just so people can see that there's activity on the voting.

Voting is as follows: a 1st place vote is worth 5 points; a 2nd place vote is worth 3 points; and a 3rd place is worth 1 point.

Good luck, and good skill!
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 17:01
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Voting is as follows: a 1st place vote is worth 5 points; a 2nd place vote is worth 3 points; and a 3rd place is worth 1 point.
    are these sae or metric points???
    it won't be fair if you use metric and favor the peans...

just sayin...
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 17:22
    Originally posted by rookie54
    are these sae or metric points???
    it won't be fair if you use metric and favor the peans...

just sayin...
    Just for you, I'll give the english equivalent in parenthesis after the metric.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 19:54

[b]750 words
    max.

[You may disregard the topic and write freestyle; however, it's going to cost you 2 points.]

I will collect the entries, which are due by July 1 at 12a ...[text shortened]... nd place vote is worth 3 points; and a 3rd place is worth 1 point.

"PM your entries to me..." (OP)

BDP, you may want to verify that the RHP Personal Message "2000 characters" max will accommodate "750 words."
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 20:10

[b]750 words
    max.

I will collect the entries, which are due by July 1 at 12a ...[text shortened]... nd place vote is worth 3 points; and a 3rd place is worth 1 point.

Excellent. I shall enter this time as I'm about to go on holiday for two weeks where I am intent on doing as little as possible whilst watching as much football as possible.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 20:16
    MUTINY!!!

i jest of course, hope you get a few entrants 🙂
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 05:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "PM your entries to me..." (OP)

BDP, you may want to verify that the RHP Personal Message "2000 characters" max will accommodate "750 words."
    Good point Bobby,

you might get a throwaway emailadress for this BigDogg.
  8. Joined
    06 Jun '14
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 05:41
    George Washington could not tell a lie
    He busted tangy, cherry pie
    When the child comes, ol' Georgey on the run
    Another town to inflate his Rye
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 08:46
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Good point Bobby,

you might get a throwaway emailadress for this BigDogg.
    Done.

Please send all entries to BigDoggProblem@gmail.com.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 12:31
    Done.

Please send all entries to [b]BigDoggProblem@gmail.com
    .[/b]
    Great.

Thank you for organizing things. I promise to submit a piece 😉
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 16:482 edits
    Done.

Please send all entries to [b]BigDoggProblem@gmail.com
    .[/b]
    BDP, would sending entries with texts within the "750 words max." directly to you by Red Hot Pawn Personal Message still be an acceptable option for those who may not wish to disclose their permanent personal email address of record?
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 19:17
    BDP, would sending entries with texts within the "750 words max." directly to you by Red Hot Pawn Personal Message still be an acceptable option for those who may not wish to disclose their permanent personal email address of record?
    Yes, but they will have to break up their entry into several messages, making sure none of it gets lost during the process.

I don't recommend that approach, but I will accept it so long as the submitter understands I'm not responsible for any content that may be lost in the messaging process.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 19:242 edits
    Yes, but they will have to break up their entry into several messages, making sure none of it gets lost during the process.

I don't recommend that approach, but I will accept it so long as the submitter understands I'm not responsible for any content that may be lost in the messaging process.
    Simple safeguard solution: 1) Writers send the Personal Message to themselves, having previously saved the entire text to an email then minimized or also sent to themselves. 2) If it fits, message it to you. 3) If not, revise or email it to you.

Edit Note: Applies to 750 Words Max Submissions only; no multiple Personal Messages which would be a nuisance for you.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 20:171 edit
    Just get a gmail or a yahoo account to use in situations like this. Takes 5 minutes to sign up.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 20:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Just get a gmail or a yahoo account to use in situations like this. Takes 5 minutes to sign up.
    Hi, Suzi. My anticipation was for others who may be reluctant to disclose their email address. I'd like to see BDP's Summer Prose Competition receive an unprecedented number of entries. My son Eric did set up a gmail account for my use during the sixteen month rehabilitation confinement when my laptop wasn't available. Russ helped him transition the account to RHP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree