Blunders Make The Game Seem Less Meaningful

Blunders Make The Game Seem Less Meaningful

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
31 Oct 16

Recently I haven't been able to play any games without blundering material and it's really getting to me. No matter what the position is I always manage to just blunder something and lose the game. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to play anymore because if I keep blundering advantages away then what does it matter if all the other moves weren't terrible?

Okay I can play well for a while but if I inevitably blunder and lose it all then what was the point of playing all the other moves? It just seems like I'm wasting time putting all that effort into playing for it all to be swept away sooner or later by a blunder that makes it all just pointless.

I don't even care about winning and losing anymore but just stopping blunders. If I win even after a blunder it means nothing to me anyway. It's just really hard to stay motivated to play anymore if I can't fix this but I really don't know what to do about it and honestly it makes me not even want to play anymore. What should I do?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by titancg
Recently I haven't been able to play any games without blundering material and it's really getting to me. No matter what the position is I always manage to just blunder something and lose the game. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to play anymore because if I keep blundering advantages away then what does it matter if all the other moves wer ...[text shortened]... ow what to do about it and honestly it makes me not even want to play anymore. What should I do?
You do know you have to actually play to get better, right? We see no sign of any games from you. Do you intend to actually play or just post on the forums?

You stop blunders by analysing the games after they are played so you won't falll into patterns of mistakes.

t

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
You do know you have to actually play to get better, right? We see no sign of any games from you. Do you intend to actually play or just post on the forums?

You stop blunders by analysing the games after they are played so you won't falll into patterns of mistakes.
I haven't played any games here yet. I mostly came for the forums.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Oct 16
1 edit

I haven't played any games here yet. I mostly came for the forums.
Welcome to RHP. Do you have an OTB rating? Club, USCF, FIDE, ELO etc.?

Moves
31 Oct 16

Recently I haven't been able to play any games without blundering material and it's really getting to me. No matter what the position is I always manage to just blunder something and lose the game. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to play anymore because if I keep blundering advantages away then what does it matter if all the other moves wer ...[text shortened]... ow what to do about it and honestly it makes me not even want to play anymore. What should I do?
Try turning the board around and analyse it from your opponent's POV. Analyse every one of his possible replies to see what you would do.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
31 Oct 16

What should I do?
dress like a clown, ask for candy...

t

Moves
31 Oct 16

Welcome to RHP. Do you have an OTB rating? Club, USCF, FIDE, ELO etc.?
Hi. Nah I just mostly play blitz chess online. I haven't played OTB in a long time.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Oct 16

Hi. Nah I just mostly play blitz chess online. I haven't played OTB in a long time.
Well there's your problem. Blunders and blitz go hand in hand. If you're serious about improving your game and making blunders a rarity rather than the norm, play more correspondence style chess where you take longer over your moves.

t

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Well there's your problem. Blunders and blitz go hand in hand. If you're serious about improving your game and making blunders a rarity rather than the norm, play more correspondence style chess where you take longer over your moves.
Yeah but I've seen plenty of players that simply don't make those blunders even in bullet games so I know it's possible. I'm just really tired of it happening all the time and ruining literally every game I play and it's just hard to stay motivated during games.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
What he said. Here we play time limits of 3 days or more. So you have at least 3 days to study a position. That gets you stronger and the next time you play blitz you find yourself not doing so many blunders.

Even Grandmasters blunder, some of them missing one move mates.

Try some games here with 3 day time clocks, 3 days per move. You will make less mistakes for sure. Also with that kind of time control you can use a function here 'analyze board' where you can move pieces around all day long somewhat like if you have a real board and pieces so you can study variations.

BTW, do you know about a chess phrase 'space points'?

t

Moves
31 Oct 16

What he said. Here we play time limits of 3 days or more. So you have at least 3 days to study a position. That gets you stronger and the next time you play blitz you find yourself not doing so many blunders.

Even Grandmasters blunder, some of them missing one move mates.

Try some games here with 3 day time clocks, 3 days per move. You will make les ...[text shortened]... nd pieces so you can study variations.

BTW, do you know about a chess phrase 'space points'?
Idunno maybe I should try other time controls. I don't know what space points are.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Nov 16
2 edits

Idunno maybe I should try other time controls. I don't know what space points are.
3 day per move clock is a lot slower than blitz. I think you should try some games at that time control.

Space points can help beginners visualize what is going on immediately. Break the board into 2 halves, for white, say a1 to a4 and h1 to h4 and black's side, a8 to a5 down that line to h8 to h5, the center line of the board left to right.

So all space points are squares that have power by the opponent on your side of the board, say a black pawn is on e5, so it attacks d4 and f4, that is to say, if white puts a piece on either of those two squares, black can take it so that is an attack on two squares so they count as 2 space points.

So you just add up all the places the opponent attacks squares on your side of the board and see if you are roughly equal, so if you have 10 space points and the opponent has 2 you can tell you are in a better attacking position usually.

The value of adding up all the space points is you then at least have a full view of the immediate one move threats and immediate one move attacks on the opponents side.

A lot of players don't see all the places their pieces can go and therefore miss possible defensive moves or attacking moves. If you don't see it you won't play it. Space points just gives you what is on the board in the immediate, one move look.

Just for the purpose of figuring out space points, you don't count defenses on your side or your space points on his side, ignoring defenses. Just a one move up look at the board.

Moves
02 Nov 16

I mostly came for the forums.
And yet your OP in this thread is you first post ever in the forums.
Before then no moves and no posts since 2009.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Nov 16

Originally posted by divegeester
And yet your OP in this thread is you first post ever in the forums.
Before then no moves and no posts since 2009.
I guess he is an avid reader.....

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
02 Nov 16

I guess he is an avid reader.....
A safe bet is that he's a 'Ghost Groupie.'

😉