1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 19:29
    UK PM condition has apparently worsened.
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 21:08
    @divegeester said
    UK PM condition has apparently worsened.
    This must come as a shock to the nation. I feel personally upset about the news and pray he will not further deteriorate. It must be devastating for his partner and of course the government.

Get well soon Boris.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 21:17
    @drewnogal said
    This must come as a shock to the nation. I feel personally upset about the news and pray he will not further deteriorate. It must be devastating for his partner and of course the government.

Get well soon Boris.
    You are a warmhearted person, Drew. 😍
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 21:32
    @drewnogal said

Get well soon Boris.
    The potential tragedy surrounding this is significant in so many ways.

He’s a soon-to-be father and future husband of Ms Symonds of course and in that alone there is agony for his family. But leaving political persuasions aside, Boris is a huge character and I realised tonight what a tremendous focal point for the country he has been over the last few weeks. If he doesn’t pull through it is going to be a difficult period politically and constitutionally at a time of unprecedented peacetime upheaval.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 22:14
    @divegeester said
    If he doesn’t pull through it is going to be a difficult period politically and constitutionally at a time of unprecedented peacetime upheaval.
    I wish Boris well.
    If he doesn't pull through there will be some political fall out.
    But I don't see any constitutional difficulties. What would they be?

On a slightly tangential note: shouldn't the
    position of Deputy Prime Minister be always filled?
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 22:20
    @divegeester said
    The potential tragedy surrounding this is significant in so many ways.

He’s a soon-to-be father and future husband of Ms Symonds of course and in that alone there is agony for his family. But leaving political persuasions aside, Boris is a huge character and I realised tonight what a tremendous focal point for the country he has been over the last few weeks. If he doe ...[text shortened]... e a difficult period politically and constitutionally at a time of unprecedented peacetime upheaval.
    I’ve grown to admire how he has handled things over the past few weeks. His televised speech regarding the lockdown was done very well I thought, he did not preach and explained the situation in words that everyone could understand.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 22:313 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 22:33
    @wolfgang59 said
    I wish Boris well.
    If he doesn't pull through there will be some political fall out.
    But I don't see any constitutional difficulties. What would they be?

On a slightly tangential note: shouldn't the
    position of Deputy Prime Minister be always filled?
    Only short term based around who’s in charge, as you point out there is no deputy PM and this supposed “phone call” to the 1st Secretary of State won’t cut it if the Cabinet start to jostle for position. Boris cracks the whip so I understand.

In normal circumstances this would just be news fodder and fun for the opposition, but in the coming weeks the people need to be sure of where the authority sits, see the cabinet and government fall in line and observe decisive leadership.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 23:52
    @divegeester said
    this supposed “phone call” to the 1st Secretary of State won’t cut it if the Cabinet start to jostle for position. Boris cracks the whip so I understand.
    If Boris had had a deputy it would have given that position more
    authority although technically it would have been no more secure.

Who was the last deputy PM?
    Prescott I remember and not sure if Clegg formally had the title.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 05:071 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    If Boris had had a deputy it would have given that position more
    authority although technically it would have been no more secure.

Who was the last deputy PM?
    Prescott I remember and not sure if Clegg formally had the title.
    The challenge is not about the role being “secure”; its a transitory position so security is therefore moot. What we must have is a person leading with clear constitutional executive authority and I’m not sure the position of First Secretary of State has that.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 05:28
    @divegeester said
    What we must have is a person leading with clear constitutional executive authority and I’m not sure the position of First Secretary of State has that.
    I do not think that Deputy Prime Minister has clear constitutional
    executive authority either. But I agree it would be sensible to have that.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 09:14
    The arrogant orange lump has asked his advisors to phone Boris's doctors
    with advice. Pushing hydroxychloroquine I suppose? And please note
    Trumpists; Boris has gone into an NHS hospital for the best care available.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 09:27
    @wolfgang59 said
    The arrogant orange lump has asked his advisors to phone Boris's doctors with advice. Pushing hydroxychloroquine I suppose? And please note Trumpists; Boris has gone into an NHS hospital for the best care available.
    He’s so obnoxious.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 10:545 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    The arrogant orange lump has asked his advisors to phone Boris's doctors
    with advice. Pushing hydroxychloroquine I suppose? And please note
    Trumpists; Boris has gone into an NHS hospital for the best care available.
    Then if Boris has the best doctors in the world there is nothing to really be overly concerned about now is there? We don't know the particulars on the advice the POTUS has given now, so lets not jump to conclusions.

The U.K. should have someone who can take over should something happen to Boris. Somebody would have to be making the big decisions.

Hopefully he will recover, it was quite a shock to me to learn he was in ICU.

-VR
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 11:03
    @very-rusty said
    Then if Boris has the best doctors in the world there is nothing to really be overly concerned about now is there? We don't know the particulars on the advice the POTUS has given now, so lets not jump to conclusions.

The U.K. should have someone who can take over should something happen to Boris. Somebody would have to be making the big decisions.

Hopefully he will recover, it was quite a shock to me to learn he was in ICU.

-VR
    What is your point?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree