Canada to Open things up

Canada to Open things up

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

Canada are talking about opening things up, with restrictions. Personally I think it is a bit early for that. Who am I to disagree with the experts! After all they are concerned about the economy more than people at the end of the day!

-VR

Moves
12 May 20

Opening now defeats the purpose of the original lockdown IMHO.

So far we have had a very cold spring and they haven't turned the tide as far as infections go so why open now?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

@the-pickled-walrus said

So far we have had a very cold spring and they haven't turned the tide as far as infections go so why open now?
I agree, I think we are opening up too quickly. The economy is suffering on one side, but on the other we still have people dying.

They opened up some schools yesterday with 35 I believe they said in a school that usually hold 170 children. The spacing and masks still used and it was optional if parents sent their children.

I think it is a trial run to see how it goes for re-opening in the fall. I believe it terrible using kids like that, but as I said it was their own choice. Also this is in areas where there have been very few cases in the last 14 days or so.

I'll be keeping a close watch on this, but I don't expect it to go well. I still wear my masks and disposable gloves when I am out even if it is just for walk.

-VR

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
12 May 20

If they're not opening up hockey, who cares!

Moves
12 May 20

@earl-of-trumps said
I'd think you'd want hockey to hold off for a bit more so the Bruins can practice more in hopes, of at least once, when the season does open, winning one game against the Habs.

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

😮

C'est Les But!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 May 20

Guys, I don't think we will be seeing hockey for awhile yet. Lets not hold our breath on that one. I'd love to see it back of course!!!

-VR

Moves
12 May 20

@the-pickled-walrus said

It's still "early days". There seems to be the start of second waves in places that thought it was "OK" to start to get back to normal. This is not the time to get, even a bit lax.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 May 20

@earl-of-trumps said
What team do you like we know gbs is Bruin fan?

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 May 20

@the-pickled-walrus said
😮

C'est Les But!
It is the purpose of what?

-VR

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

Australia's only now starting a cautious reopening program. We have a less than 0.04% death rate (97 deaths in 25 million) and we're very mindful of the second wave threat. Nonetheless, we have to open the door sometime!

Moves
12 May 20

@kewpie said
Australia's only now starting a cautious reopening program. We have a less than 0.04% death rate (97 deaths in 25 million) and we're very mindful of the second wave threat. Nonetheless, we have to open the door sometime!
Wouldn't the death rate be based not on the population as a whole but on the number of "confirmed" cases?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 May 20

@kewpie said
Even though your death rate is low, do you think they are doing the right thing at the right time? I guess the Doctors who are the experts at this or I should say know more than us as it is new for them also would be making the call on that one.

Just was wondering what your opinion is on it?

-VR

Moves
12 May 20

@very-rusty said
It is the purpose of what?

-VR
C'est Les But = It's a goal.

Do you even watch hockey?
Your citizenship has been terminated.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

@great-big-stees said
Wouldn't the death rate be based not on the population as a whole but on the number of "confirmed" cases?
I used the deaths per million population because the rate of testing makes all the other statistics jump around. The percentage on confirmed cases is about 1.5% at the moment.

We're allowing the medical experts to make the running, with only a scrap or two of political interference. The population generally supports what the "war cabinet" is doing. Of course we're grumbling and a few are objecting, but we're happy to be in the situation we're in, particularly when we look at what other developed countries are doing.