1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 10:52
    @moonbus said
    He can't act, he just plays himself, and the guy he plays is a jerk.
    I thought you might have had an objective perspective.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 12:201 edit
    This is purely anecdote, but I work at Walt Disney World in Florida USA, and Tom Cruise visits often.

He has a very positive reputation in that he is very modest and treats every Cast Member he meets with courtesy and respect.

We see a incredibly huge number of celebrity types all the time, and of course we all share anecdotes and experiences. I have never met Tom Cruise personally, but I have been amazed at how often his name comes up, with a very positive story attached to it. He makes me thinkthat the person we see in the movies and on TV is a persona, but not the real "him".
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 14:421 edit
    @moonbus said
    No, no, he’s very dedicated. He broke his ankle during a rooftop jump and continued acting while in excruciating pain.

Here he (Tom Cruise) is on the Graham Norton show explaining the event.

YouTube
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 17:241 edit
    @paul-leggett said
    This is purely anecdote, but I work at Walt Disney World in Florida USA, and Tom Cruise visits often.

He has a very positive reputation in that he is very modest and treats every Cast Member he meets with courtesy and respect.

We see a incredibly huge number of celebrity types all the time, and of course we all share anecdotes and experiences. I have never met Tom ...[text shortened]... e makes me thinkthat the person we see in the movies and on TV is a persona, but not the real "him".
    He knows which side his bread is buttered on.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/tom-cruise-reporters-banned-from-asking-actor-about-scientology-10433992.html
  5. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 23:31
    @paul-leggett said

We see a incredibly huge number of celebrity types all the time, and of course we all share anecdotes and experiences. I have never met Tom ...[text shortened]... e makes me thinkthat the person we see in the movies and on TV is a persona, but not the real "him".
    He is supporting his cause on these appearances. He is a shill for the cult. Good looking and stooooooppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.!
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 00:07
    @divegeester said
    The eldest takes over I believe.
    Who you just said we can do without!
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 05:49
    @wolfgang59 said
    Who you just said we can do without!
    Yes, no “celebrity” until they become Monarch; I didn’t mean kill them or something.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 09:49
    @divegeester said
    Yes, no “celebrity” until they become Monarch; I didn’t mean kill them or something.
    We cannot do without an heir then!
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 09:57
    @moonbus said
    he is a nutter
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 10:24
    @drewnogal said
    No, no, he’s very dedicated. He broke his ankle during a rooftop jump and continued acting while in excruciating pain.

Here he (Tom Cruise) is on the Graham Norton show explaining the event.

[youtube]iNT-tPrz4OM[/youtube]
    My dog is dedicated, too. Being dedicated is not the same as being able to act. Cruise is an overpaid stunt man.
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 11:23
    @moonbus said
    My dog is dedicated, too. Being dedicated is not the same as being able to act. Cruise is an overpaid stunt man.
    I don't know. I'm not gaga for Tom either...but my wife is!

I did like him in the films; "Minority Report", "Born on the Fourth of July" and "The Last Samurai".
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 13:19
    @moonbus
    I think this is apples and oranges. He gains nothing from being nice to a Custodian or Housekeeper or Rider Operator, and the vast majority of the contacts are relatively discrete.

I am inclined to think that we can tell much about a person by what they do when there is no audience.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 13:251 edit
    @Mudfinger
    I am not talking about appearances- merely day to day interactions with regular people. It's all anecdote, and of course I don't know the guy, but I tend not to subscribe to one-dimensional representations of anyone. It's sort of an anal-retentive/OCD application of the Golden Rule on my part, and I would not want to be judged in such a manner.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 14:24
    @paul-leggett said
    @Mudfinger
    I am not talking about appearances- merely day to day interactions with regular people. It's all anecdote, and of course I don't know the guy, but I tend not to subscribe to one-dimensional representations of anyone. It's sort of an anal-retentive/OCD application of the Golden Rule on my part, and I would not want to be judged in such a manner.
    Never judge a book by it's cover.
  15. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 19:54
    @paul-leggett said

That is not likely to be the real Tom Cruise but the Scientology image of him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree