Changes in our time

Changes in our time

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
31 Aug 17
2 edits

How the online world has changed in the last 13 years is absolutely astonishing. Facebook started in 2004, it's hardly even pubescent at 13 years old. I joined it in 2007 and already felt like I was "late to the party". Same with RHP which I joined in 2008 and was already an going concern with users from 2004. It seems 2004 may be have been watershed year of sorts. Maybe. I already look back to those not far off years with nostalgia.

Discuss [sic]

Moves
31 Aug 17
1 edit

If it is a "party" I don't mind missing the start, but I'm certainly not going to be hanging around to clear up...

Read a book!

Moves
01 Sep 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
If it is a "party" I don't mind missing the start, but I'm certainly not going to be hanging around to clear up...
Just think how much more pleasant life would have been if you never met robbie carrobie.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Sep 17

How the online world has changed in the last 13 years is absolutely astonishing. Facebook started in 2004, it's hardly even pubescent at 13 years old. I joined it in 2007 and already felt like I was "late to the party". Same with RHP which I joined in 2008 and was already an going concern with users from 2004. It seems 2004 may be have been watershed y ...[text shortened]... f sorts. Maybe. I already look back to those not far off years with nostalgia.

Discuss [sic]
I don't do Facebook, and I didn't miss anything, nor do I care if I did.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
01 Sep 17

...How the online world has changed in the last 13 years...
13 years? Oh dear Lord children, sit down and let Grandpa Monty tell you how it was with computers before that.

Saw my first ATM machine in Denver, Colorado in 1977 while in the Air Force. Amazing!! Before that, each Friday you had to figure out how much cash you would need for the weekend and put that amount on the 'cash back' line as you deposited your paycheck. And ATM's would only dispense $20 (USD) per transaction.

Later, In Berkeley California, I learned word processing on "Electric Pencil" where you could actually save a document to a cassette tape and bring it back up later. (+1 to anyone who knows what a 'Trash 80' is without looking it up).

At that time I bought an Atari 800 from Macy's in San Francisco. I paid for the upgrade to 48K memory (yes, K). Cost 500 USD. I could make a colored dot (your choice of 16 colors) bounce around the screen.

And the final exhibit at the computer museum, 1990(?), I had a Gateway 386sx pc with a dot matrix printer. I was the computer stud of the neighborhood because I dropped in a math co-processer (zif, another +1 if you know what that is) and brought it up to a full 386 dx with windows 3.1!

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Sep 17

Originally posted by @montymoose
13 years? Oh dear Lord children, sit down and let Grandpa Monty tell you how it was with computers before that.

Saw my first ATM machine in Denver, Colorado in 1977 while in the Air Force. Amazing!! Before that, each Friday you had to figure out how much cash you would need for the weekend and put that amount on the 'cash back' line as you deposited y ...[text shortened]... (zif, another +1 if you know what that is) and brought it up to a full 386 dx with windows 3.1!
Wow! And here I thought I was clever when I bought an iPad in 2013. 😉