1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 20:38
    @torunn said
    Isn't art - if you are an artist - your own, original expression? Not a copy of someone else's?
    It should be, that is why I chose monkeys for the re-creation!

My point was questioning Ponderable's position that some skill
    should be involved in the creation of art. If the Mona Lisa was
    created through some natural random process surely it is still art?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 20:461 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    It should be, that is why I chose monkeys for the re-creation!

My point was questioning Ponderable's position that some skill
    should be involved in the creation of art. If the Mona Lisa was
    created through some natural random process surely it is still art?
    As long as it is a personal artistic expression, I would probably call it art. But I can't go further than that, it's only my personal interpretation. There are experts who don't always agree, and if they do agree they may still be wrong. The impressionists were not readily accepted by the art critics, to mention some.

I am sure Drewnogal can explain this much better, being an artist herself.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 02:031 edit
    @torunn said
    As long as it is a personal artistic expression, I would probably call it art. But I can't go further than that, it's only my personal interpretation. There are experts who don't always agree, and if they do agree they may still be wrong. The impressionists were not readily accepted by the art critics, to mention some.

I am sure Drewnogal can explain this much better, being an artist herself.
    Oh dear, what have you started here Torunn? 🙀

Now I find myself asking if I still qualify as an artist as I’ve hardly produced anything remotely arty in the last 20 years? Ok, I’m sat in a waiting room somewhere and there’s a chunk of plasticine which I pick it up and model it into something that has some meaning for me so I want to take it home. A small child could do the same. The child makes a blob and it’s mother recognises she is making a dog. I make an abstract sort of dog with three legs and no one recognises it but it holds a lot of meaning for me. The reaction of others aren’t important because I go home and continue with the theme which leads to some drawings, then I’m out walking and see a shape in a tree trunk that reminds me of a dog’s head, so I take a pic on my phone, then I see a lovely fleecy blanket in a shop and stop to feel the texture and remember a pet I once had which makes me feel sad and I scribble some words in a notebook on it.

If there’s a persistence of a theme or an idea with an emotional response that leads on to something or things being produced then it’s art. I once had a job fettling and painting copper lustre onto jugs which were sold in Welsh craft shops. People bought them to display in their homes as a piece of art but I had no artistic involvement.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 02:23
    @Torunn

This is fun to listen to, Alain de Botton ~ What is Art For?

YouTube

YouTube
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 06:27
    @drewnogal said
    @Torunn

[youtube]ZVlQOytFCRI[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/ZVlQOytFCRI
    The third point was quite challenging.
    I'll ponder on that one.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 08:17
    @drewnogal said
    @Torunn

I like it and spontaneously agree with most of it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 08:241 edit
    @drewnogal said
    @Torunn

I didn't watch this yet I still wanted to weigh in.

I believe Art is primarily, and holds the most meaning, for the maker. If others catch a glimpse of meaning for themselves, or it reminds them of a scene in their own past, then all the better, and in this way we realize that we all have a place in, and a connection to, the grand tapestry of life.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 08:36
    @drewnogal said
    I spent 4 years in art college, painting and drawing were important to me from childhood, it was the first time anyone recognised any sort of talent in me, but it took a nose dive when I had my kids. There just wasn’t the time to devote to it or a spare room in the house for it.

Art helped me through the angst of adolescence but then I discovered a thread and a momentum ...[text shortened]... provided an opportunity to try to talk through what the subconscious drive had produced in the work.
    Many young people of our generation grew without any recognition or insight into their own uniqueness and their artistic abilities. They experienced the educational process as a series of boxes to be ticked as they causally mocked with innocent cruelty those who would become their masters later in life.

Conversely I know people who are talented individuals who have devoted much of their life effort into mastering their art or craft to the point of applause, but nevertheless deeply bitter that they have not been able to sufficiently monetise their “gift”. They appear to be wracked with a sense of being somehow cheated and are frequently angry, lashing out at the economic success of those with no “talent”.

I see these two negative perspectives as a conjoined malfunction of the broken educational system which fails to prepare the oily progeny for the reality of a self supporting existence, and the “live-your-dreams” luxury idealism of the pedestaled champagne classes.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 08:41
    @suzianne said
    I didn't watch this yet I still wanted to weigh in.

I believe Art is primarily, and holds the most meaning, for the maker. If others catch a glimpse of meaning for themselves, or it reminds them of a scene in their own past, then all the better, and in this way we realize that we all have a place in, and a connection to, the grand tapestry of life.
    We need art to see beyond the usual scenery of the day. It helps us to put things in perspective but we need 'an inner eye' to see it. I look at art with my eyes and perceive it in my mind and heart.
  10. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 09:021 edit
    @Torunn

I used to love those 3D pictures, where you have to stare at a page with no apparent cohesion within the scribblings, and then the object came into focus.
    Some beautiful ones were available then.
    Is it a lost art form?
    Is it art?
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 09:21
    @pawnpaw said
    @Torunn

I used to love those 3D pictures, where you have to stare at a page with no apparent cohesion within the scribblings, and then the object came into focus.
    Some beautiful ones were available then.
    Is it a lost art form?
    Is it art?
    There are different kinds of art - paintings (oil, water-colour etc), sculptures, installations, architecture - so why not 3D?
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 09:34
    @wolfgang59 said
    Those million monkeys typing for a million years ...
    When they have finished the complete works of Shakespeare
    what if their next project is the Mona Lisa?

Would it still be art?
    Blind squirrels would lobby hard for acorn graffiti, but they'd accept a monkey Mona Lisa, eventually.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 10:30
    @divegeester said
    Many young people of our generation grew without any recognition or insight into their own uniqueness and their artistic abilities. They experienced the educational process as a series of boxes to be ticked as they causally mocked with innocent cruelty those who would become their masters later in life.

Conversely I know people who are talented individuals who have dev ...[text shortened]... upporting existence, and the “live-your-dreams” luxury idealism of the pedestaled champagne classes.
    I believe I could monetize my art, but that is not its only value to me. It is mainly freedom of expression, and in that way, as I said, the art I make is far more valuable to me than anyone else. They might enjoy it, but they can never live it.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 11:40
    @wolfgang59 said
    The third point was quite challenging.
    I'll ponder on that one.
    On that point if given the opportunity I wonder what sort of image a male life prisoner would prefer for his prison wall?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 11:57
    @drewnogal said
    @Torunn

Interesting watch, thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree