28 Feb '14 18:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 23:411 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    This illustrates how our society in general has brushed aside true education and force feeds today's youth a bunch of fluff.
    I think history and geography are exaggerated in importance. I'd be happy if our schools could teach kids to read and write well, and do basic math.

Now we have google to look up geography questions. We don't need to remember every single person and group that settled every single US state 300+ years ago. That's trivia.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 00:051 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I think history and geography are exaggerated in importance. I'd be happy if our schools could teach kids to read and write well, and do basic math.

Now we have google to look up geography questions. We don't need to remember every single person and group that settled every single US state 300+ years ago. That's trivia.
    A test like that, which appears to be a qualifying exam for high school, isn't necessarily based on the importance of the knowledge at hand. It tests commitment and diligence, interest level, etc. as much as anything. One could say it selected for the promising student according to the cultural standards of the day.

(I have only one course called Educational Testing in my college transcript, but I did read the entire textbook.🙂)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 01:401 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 01:592 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I remember learning that Thomas Carlyle established that "The history of the world is but the biography of great men". The 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica is said to be of this school, so this view was in vogue at the time of this test.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 02:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    A test like that, which appears to be a qualifying exam for high school, isn't necessarily based on the importance of the knowledge at hand. It tests commitment and diligence, interest level, etc. as much as anything. One could say it selected for the promising student according to the cultural standards of the day.

(I have only one course called Educational Testing in my college transcript, but I did read the entire textbook.🙂)
    Instead of saying "isn't necessarily based on the importance of the knowledge at hand", I should have said "doesn't test only the knowledge at hand".

I remember being verbally grilled, standing by my desk, in Ancient History class (freshman HS), on the campaign of Fabian and the strategy he used.

The content of the grilling came at random, and was the ONE part of the chapter I had seriously studied. I aced the semester on that one event.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 04:59
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well, obviously we have not changed the teaching method enough for students to grasp the relevance. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree