General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    26 Feb '14 18:34
    This has some USA-centric questions.

    I got 5 out of 32 wrong.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2013/0812/1912-eighth-grade-exam-Could-you-make-it-to-high-school-in-1912/Arithmetic
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    561739
    26 Feb '14 18:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    This has some USA-centric questions.

    I got 5 out of 32 wrong.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2013/0812/1912-eighth-grade-exam-Could-you-make-it-to-high-school-in-1912/Arithmetic
    3 wrong...and these on American History...last battle of the civil war? sellting of Maryland?
  3. Standard memberdrewnogal
    Rocky 2008-2019
    Ecofreak
    Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    41180
    26 Feb '14 19:53

    This post is unavailable.

    Please refer to our posting guidelines.

  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    26 Feb '14 20:48
    This illustrates how our society in general has brushed aside true education and force feeds today's youth a bunch of fluff.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    112991
    26 Feb '14 21:26
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    This illustrates how our society in general has brushed aside true education and force feeds today's youth a bunch of fluff.
    Here in Ontario they just push kids through by "finding" marks to get them from a 32% mark to a 51%. No kid "fails". And they wonder why they have kids entering universities who can't read, write or do "simple" math at anything above a grade 7 level.
  6. Kronoberg
    Joined
    04 Aug '07
    Moves
    5068
    26 Feb '14 21:48
    25 out of 37 or 68%. Who discovered which state and such questions were the most difficult.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    26 Feb '14 21:59
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    3 wrong...and these on American History...last battle of the civil war? sellting of Maryland?
    Very good and welcome to the high school class of 1916.

    Given the 100-year difference, a multiple choice question about the last battle of the European theater of WWII would be comparable. There were a few others like that.
  8. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    26 Feb '14 22:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    This has some USA-centric questions.

    I got 5 out of 32 wrong.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2013/0812/1912-eighth-grade-exam-Could-you-make-it-to-high-school-in-1912/Arithmetic
    One error: 'By whom was Maryland settled?'
    I could not quite recall if it's George Calvert or, his son, Cecilius Calvert.
    So I guessed the father, who died a few weeks before the charter for
    Maryland was officially approved.

    I was not certain if I could 'Name (all) the states touching the Ohio River',
    but I guessed right.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    561739
    27 Feb '14 11:58
    Originally posted by Duchess64

    I was not certain if I could 'Name (all) the states touching the Ohio River',
    but I guessed right.
    That was the third I got wrong...
  10. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    27 Feb '14 20:341 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    That was the third I got wrong...
    I suspect that many Americans today who don't live near the Ohio River
    could not correctly name *all* the states that it touches.

    It was easy for me to answer the question about the last battle of the
    US Civil War through a process of elimination. I knew that the famous
    battles of Antietam, Gettysburg, and Chickamauga took place long before
    the war's end, so there was only one possibility remaining.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    36346
    27 Feb '14 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I suspect that many Americans today who don't live near the Ohio River
    could not correctly name *all* the states that it touches.
    Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania 😀

    I always got good marks in Geography, esp. US Geography.
  12. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    27 Feb '14 20:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania 😀

    I always got good marks in Geography, esp. US Geography.
    did they teach geography in the us back in the day?
  13. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    27 Feb '14 20:50
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    One error: 'By whom was Maryland settled?'
    I could not quite recall if it's George Calvert or, his son, Cecilius Calvert.
    So I guessed the father, who died a few weeks before the charter for
    Maryland was officially approved.
    A modern major American dictionary of English lists George Calvert
    (aka Lord Baltimore) as 'the founder of Maryland'. It does not mention
    Cecilius Calvert--the 1912 test's 'right answer'--at all.

    In my view, the question 'By whom was Maryland settled?' is confusing.
    George Calvert was the prime mover behind the settlement of Maryland.
    He set the wheels in motion and just happened to die a few weeks before
    the charter was officially approved. If the 1912 test had wanted the right
    answer to be *unambiguously* Cecilius Calvert, then it should have asked
    this question, 'Who was the leader of the new colony of Maryland when it
    received a charter from King Charles I of England?'
  14. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    27 Feb '14 20:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania 😀
    I always got good marks in Geography, esp. US Geography.
    In contrast, I found the questions about naming countries in the Balkans
    much easier.
  15. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    27 Feb '14 21:02
    I was born in 1982 so no chance but I did get a math degree from Coventry uni.
Back to Top