1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 01:591 edit
    I think cracking open an egg in order to fry it or poach it is more fraught with risk than conventional wisdom seems to make allowance for. Intact yolks are important. Fragments of shell hidden in the cooked albumen are bad. Do you agree? I crack eggs into a cup first, inspect them, and then tip them onto the oil or water carefully but I feel as if it's just me who believes there is a need to do so because this issue never comes up in the domestic details portrayed in films and TV series or in shows about cooking. Who gains from this silence? Your thoughts? Other sub-topics that I welcome on this thread are the [by some accounts] near-constant, numerous, supposedly crap threads in the General Forum and the alleged ongoing efforts to silence all dissent and drive people away from the web site. But thoughts about cracking open eggs would be more especially welcome.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 04:18
    I used to do the cup thing, but once I got sufficient practice and had no problems 99% of the time I stopped bothering. I'm a lazy cook so probably not typical.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 04:37
    I was a short-order cook, and could open eggs one-handed and with either hand. So, two eggs at once. Never had a problem with shell fragments. The trick to avoiding broken yolks was to open the egg cleanly and from very near the pan bottom.

These days I use ranch eggs and just fry or scramble them. I inspect ranch eggs after I open them but not looking for shells fragments!

What's wrong with a few bits of crunchy calcium anyway.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 06:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think cracking open an egg in order to fry it or poach it is more fraught with risk than conventional wisdom seems to make allowance for. Intact yolks are important. Fragments of shell hidden in the cooked albumen are bad. Do you agree? I crack eggs into a cup first, inspect them, and then tip them onto the oil or water carefully but I feel as if it's just me ...[text shortened]... away from the web site. But thoughts about cracking open eggs would be more especially welcome.
    You seem to be a risk averse sort of person.
    I always crack them open straight into the pan.
    I am extra washing up adverse.
  5. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 09:431 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    [b]I was a short-order cook
    I always imagined you as being quite tall.
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 04:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think cracking open an egg in order to fry it or poach it is more fraught with risk than conventional wisdom seems to make allowance for. Intact yolks are important. Fragments of shell hidden in the cooked albumen are bad. Do you agree? I crack eggs into a cup first, inspect them, and then tip them onto the oil or water carefully but I feel as if it's just me ...[text shortened]... away from the web site. But thoughts about cracking open eggs would be more especially welcome.
    Be prepared for a grilling. There will, no doubt, be someone who will find it most insensitive of you to have drawn attention to those who are so completely incompetent in the kitchen.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 07:21
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    Be prepared for a grilling. There will, no doubt, be someone who will find it most insensitive of you to have drawn attention to those who are so completely incompetent in the kitchen.
    I didn't really get that so much.

Especially not when compared to the almost random passive-aggressiveness which is rather like being slapped in the face by a fish's tail in its inappropriateness to the subject matter at hand.

Sort of like the adult version of a child's tantrum. Or an embarrassing rant by a family member at a holiday dinner.
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 09:16
    I used to have an excellent cook but a rich family living near by poached him.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    My own incompetence notwithstanding, I've always found grilling fairly straight forward compared to frying, but I must confess that I cannot remember ever grilling eggs, so, in combination with not being an egg myself, I don't know exactly what "being prepared for a grilling" entails.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 13:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not me, it's far too risky.

Anything that has egg in it I refuse to eat.
  11. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 14:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    My own incompetence notwithstanding, I've always found grilling fairly straight forward compared to frying, but I must confess that I cannot remember ever grilling eggs, so, in combination with not being an egg myself, I don't know exactly what "being prepared for a grilling" entails.
    James Bond has a licence to Grill
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 14:17
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    James Bond has a licence to Grill
    And, being a true blue Brit, he's always been rather a good egg too.
  13. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 14:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    And, being a true blue Brit, he's always been rather a good egg too.
    He never chickens out.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    He never chickens out.
    Indeed, he keeps his inner chicken hidden. And if and when he crosses the road, it's part of a plan, and not a mystery.
  15. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 14:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Indeed, he keeps his chicken hidden. And if and when he crosses the road, it's part of a plan, and not a mystery.
    Great yolk you crack me up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree