1. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 12:08
    The journalist and broadcaster Sir David Frost has died of a heart attack. He was 74.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sir-david-frost-dies-veteran-journalist-and-broadcaster-suffers-heart-attack-aged-74-8793220.html
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 13:36
    Originally posted by lolof
    The journalist and broadcaster Sir David Frost has died of a heart attack. He was 74.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sir-david-frost-dies-veteran-journalist-and-broadcaster-suffers-heart-attack-aged-74-8793220.html
    A sad loss.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 13:472 edits
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    A sad loss.
    Yes, I think so. Our former Prime Minister Olof Palme (1927– murdered in 1986) was to many people not a likeable person although I think, a good politician. I watched a TV interview/conversation with him and David Frost - it was very interesting and Frost managed to make Olof Palme feel relaxed and I even found him charming, I recall.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 13:542 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 14:02
    I was 14 when "That Was the Week that Was" popped up in the US. It was so incredible. Such fantastic satire. Frost will be missed. 75 seems way too young.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 18:30

Timely and informative, lolof. He was one of my favorites, too; his many excellent interviews were memorable. Thanks.
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 04:18
    His last words may have been "Have a scintillating September everyone"
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 04:56
    Somewhere along the line I saw his interview of Yoko Ono and John Lennon.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 06:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 00:08
    My first impressions of David Frost were through watching 'Through the Keyhole'. At that young age I had no chance of understanding why my parents' generation held him in their affections. I just saw him as a strange old man who was inexplicably part of 'the society', as I suppose I could call it, despite not being especially good at sports or music (he may have been musical for all I know but I don't think he was known for it). It's only been in the last few years after the release of Frost/Nixon and seeing clips of 'That Was The Week That Was' that I have some appreciation of how talented and really exceptionally hard working he was. I think pretty much all BBC interviewers have adopted his techniques/style to some extent, so much that the standard and expectations of them have been raised extremely high. I admire him for making it seem so natural. I think his secret was to really care about people, even bad people, while at the same time being unfailingly assertive for justice. Perhaps only Paxman is comparable today in TV, though with quite a different style. Although there are plenty of excellent interviewers and presenters on BBC radio.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 01:56

Was trying to find the Frost story Stephen Fry told on QI when I came across this gem.
  12. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 06:29
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    My first impressions of David Frost were through watching 'Through the Keyhole'. At that young age I had no chance of understanding why my parents' generation held him in their affections. I just saw him as a strange old man who was inexplicably part of 'the society', as I suppose I could call it, despite not being especially good at sports or music ...[text shortened]... style. Although there are plenty of excellent interviewers and presenters on BBC radio.
    Michael Parkinson, in the lighter genre, has the ability to let his guests be natural and show their personalities and their wit.
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 09:46
    Michael Parkinson, in the lighter genre, has the ability to let his guests be natural and show their personalities and their wit.
    Parky's interviews are great. Sadly the popular culture we now live in has become too crude and in-your-face for his gentle style to be successful. Witness Graham Norton et al. So I always feel both happy and sad when I see a Michael Parkinson interview. Clive Anderson is another good interviewer/conversationalist, although it can be a little difficult for guests to keep up with his razor-sharp wit. Nowadays the celebrities interview each other on Chain Reaction on Radio 4, which I find a bit of a self-congratulatory love-in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree