Deliberately slow players ...

Deliberately slow players ...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Feb 15

Is it me or are others irritated players who deliberately leave their tournament move until the very last minute ? Should;t we have some sort of online pointy stick to wake them up ? Maybe we should be able to name and shame them ... SASSR !!!!!! ...or .... players should have a slow play rating so at least we can avoid them or put them in their own tournaments !

Read a book!

Moves
20 Feb 15

Originally posted by polarbear
Is it me or are others irritated players who deliberately leave their tournament move until the very last minute ? Should;t we have some sort of online pointy stick to wake them up ? Maybe we should be able to name and shame them ... SASSR !!!!!! ...or .... players should have a slow play rating so at least we can avoid them or put them in their own tournaments !
Maybe they know it irritates you. If they didn't know it before, they do now.

Moves
20 Feb 15

Name and shame people who move within the time controls!?

🙄

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Feb 15

Yeah, we get this from time to time.

If they are moving within the time controls, there's nothing you can do and on top of that, it's only an extremely poor sport who would get irritated by this.

Play faster time controls if it bothers you so much. Hmmm, but then you'd have to move faster too. Funny how that works, right?

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
21 Feb 15

Well Christ on a crutch man. Read his profile, he can eat his weight in Oreos. So obviously his fingers are too fat to use a mouse.
der der der

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
21 Feb 15

At a face to face tourney, try yelling at your opponent to move faster. No? What's the difference here then?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Feb 15

It depends. If they are moving slowly from the start then that is their prerogative. What I find frustrating is when people make several moves a day until they get into trouble and then slow the game down and wind down their timebank, while still moving in their other games.

All but one of my opponents are moving pretty slowly at the moment - I think three of them are hoping I'll offer a draw out of frustration, lose track of the position, or are waiting for my rating to go above 1,800 again. They'll be disappointed - I want my rating to go back over 1,800 so I won't offer draws in won positions, I know exactly how to beat them and am more likely to mess up if they move quickly, and my rating is only going to go down if my wins come more slowly than my losses.

You've only got 5 in progress games, why not start a few other games?

Moves
21 Feb 15

Thanks for the thoughts guys - you're right - I won't let it irritate and I agree with Deep Thought - the slowing seems to happen when they get into trouble. More games works too. As to naming and shaming ... that wouldn't be sportsmanlike ...

In your face

Moves
21 Feb 15

Originally posted by DeepThought
It depends. If they are moving slowly from the start then that is their prerogative. What I find frustrating is when people make several moves a day until they get into trouble and then slow the game down and wind down their timebank, while still moving in their other games.

All but one of my opponents are moving pretty slowly at the moment - I thin ...[text shortened]... slowly than my losses.

You've only got 5 in progress games, why not start a few other games?
Ever thought that they slow their game down because they are actually trying to think of a way out of the trouble that they are in and not some super cynical agenda against you and the chess community?

Moves
21 Feb 15
1 edit

The only "pointy stick" needed is the one to jab those who bitch and moan about slow moving players with. There is no such thing as slow moving player; there is such a thing time as controls though.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Feb 15

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Ever thought that they slow their game down because they are actually trying to think of a way out of the trouble that they are in and not some super cynical agenda against you and the chess community?
No, I'm not talking about when people wait until they have a spare hour at the weekend to work out the position, when people do that it is only for a few moves, not for the whole of the rest of the game in obviously lost (I mean multiple pieces down) positions. Although, of my current opponents the only game where my advantage is that clear he's moving daily.

In your face

Moves
21 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
No, I'm not talking about when people wait until they have a spare hour at the weekend to work out the position, when people do that it is only for a few moves, not for the whole of the rest of the game in obviously lost (I mean multiple pieces down) positions. Although, of my current opponents the only game where my advantage is that clear he's moving daily.
Well in that case I would resign, unless it was against you. 😉

Edit: What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
21 Feb 15

hey numb nuts its a game with time limits its u that should be banned from games with time limits.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Feb 15

Originally posted by redbadger
hey numb nuts its a game with time limits its u that should be banned from games with time limits.
Your manners, taste and erudition are only surpassed by every single thing in the entire world. Congrats! Now go back to your cave. We'll bang some rocks together next time we want you to come out and spew crap.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
21 Feb 15
1 edit