1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:06
    @very-rusty said
    From the amount of responses you are getting it appears more than myself and mike69 are not interested in commenting on your subject matter.
    This is fine by me. But thank you for your observation.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:09
    @mchill said
    Yes - sometimes this happens over years, or even generations. Old baby boomers such as myself no doubt remember the term "psychobabble" a term first made popular in the early 70's, going in and out of style every decade or so. It's not very important in the scheme of things, but is sometimes amusing to hear millennials throwing around the same verbal stuff my generation invented all those years ago.
    Does the term "psychobabble" mean more or less the same thing when baby boomers use it [or used to use it back in the 70s] as when millennials use it?
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:09
    @fmf said
    This is fine by me. But thank you for your observation.
    You are quite welcome.

-VR
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:18
    @fmf said
    "The moment a word or phrase begins to rise in public value, a variety of interest groups seek either to destroy its reputation or, more often, to co-opt it. In this latter case, they don't necessarily adopt the meaning of the word or phrase. They simp-ly want control of it in order to apply a different meaning that suits their own purposes." [John Ralston Saul]

Have you come across this?
    "Friendly fire" certainly, and perhaps "collateral damage".
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:341 edit
    @fmf said
    "Communism"

It appears that, in common [but partisan] political parlance in the U.S., it means things like distributing vaccines amid a global pandemic, enacting policies to protect the environment, and levying taxes. No longer does it mean a political system in which all property is publicly owned. Apparently!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:371 edit
    @very-rusty said
    From the amount of responses you are getting it appears more than myself and mike69 are not interested in commenting on your subject matter.
    And yet you personally have posted 4 times out of 15 on the front page.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 02:36
    @fmf said
    "Troll" and "trolling".

Misuse/overuse of these words has rinsed them of much of their [potential or former] meaning.

Instead, they are merely used as indicators of disagreement or disapproval.

People incessantly calling other people "trolls" on message boards are, more often than not, the actuals "trolls" in a given situation.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 02:46
    @fmf said
    "Queer"

Once a derogatory word... subsequently appropriated and therefore defanged by the aforementioned queers and other and non-homophobes.
  9. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 22:13
    @fmf said
    Does the term "psychobabble" mean more or less the same thing when baby boomers use it [or used to use it back in the 70s] as when millennials use it?
    Yes, the new generations use it to mean the same thing.
  10. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 22:281 edit
    "Mostly peaceful"
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 23:28
    @fmf said
    "Patriots" and "patriotism".
  12. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 07:09
    @fmf said
    "The moment a word or phrase begins to rise in public value, a variety of interest groups seek either to destroy its reputation or, more often, to co-opt it. In this latter case, they don't necessarily adopt the meaning of the word or phrase. They simp-ly want control of it in order to apply a different meaning that suits their own purposes." [John Ralston Saul]

Ökosteuer

In Germany the ecological parties/mioovements lobbied to impose taxes on squandering behaviour and lower taxes on responsible behaviour. (Steuer(tax) in German has a ring to steering.
    The red/green coalition under Schröder then introduced the "Ökosteuer" on Fuel (for cars not for planes) to improve the budget balance... The word fell into negative connotation in all groups.
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 18:32
    Gender had traditionally been synonymous with sex but special interest groups moved
    to change the definition of gender dysphoria to new gender creations so that trans people can get protections
    from the "discrimination by gender" clause of the constitution.

To wit: a white man that imagines himself as a black lesbian with a foot fetish has constituted a new gender.
  14. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 19:47
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Gender had traditionally been synonymous with sex but special interest groups moved
    to change the definition of gender dysphoria to new gender creations so that trans people can get protections
    from the "discrimination by gender" clause of the constitution.

To wit: a white man that imagines himself as a black lesbian with a foot fetish has constituted a new gender.
    The USA Government has removed the word mother from its latest budget legislation and replaced mother with 'birthing people' cos it seems men can give birth now.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Sep '21 19:50
    @the-gravedigger said
    The USA Government has removed the word mother from its latest budget legislation and replaced mother with 'birthing people' cos it seems men can give birth now.
    Whoosh!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree