1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 03:00
    "The moment a word or phrase begins to rise in public value, a variety of interest groups seek either to destroy its reputation or, more often, to co-opt it. In this latter case, they don't necessarily adopt the meaning of the word or phrase. They simp-ly want control of it in order to apply a different meaning that suits their own purposes." [John Ralston Saul]

Have you come across this?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 03:00
    @fmf said
    "Woke"
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 03:01
    @fmf said
    They simply want control of it in order to apply a different meaning that suits their own purposes."
    "Critical race theory"
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 20:08
    MAGA.
    (is that a word ?)
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 20:16
    @mghrn55 said
    MAGA.
    (is that a word ?)
    Make America Great Again" or MAGA is a campaign slogan used in American politics popularized by Donald Trump in his successful 2016 presidential campaign.

-VR
  6. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 20:39
    @fmf said
    "The moment a word or phrase begins to rise in public value, a variety of interest groups seek either to destroy its reputation or, more often, to co-opt it. In this latter case, they don't necessarily adopt the meaning of the word or phrase. They simp-ly want control of it in order to apply a different meaning that suits their own purposes." [John Ralston Saul]

Hi, I knew it wouldn’t take you long😉. Can you help me by telling me how long you’ve felt part of these types of movements.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 21:201 edit
    @fmf said

Yes - sometimes this happens over years, or even generations. Old baby boomers such as myself no doubt remember the term "psychobabble" a term first made popular in the early 70's, going in and out of style every decade or so. It's not very important in the scheme of things, but is sometimes amusing to hear millennials throwing around the same verbal stuff my generation invented all those years ago.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 21:49
    @mike69 said
    Can you help me by telling me how long you’ve felt part of these types of movements.
    A response to the OP question would be more interesting.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 22:42
    @fmf said
    A response to the OP question would be more interesting.
    Maybe being a little nicer to members posting would help in the responses?

-VR
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 22:48
    @very-rusty said
    Maybe being a little nicer to members posting would help in the responses?
    I prefer to be candid and genuine.

The same goes for you: a response to the OP question would be more interesting.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 22:51
    @fmf said
    I prefer to be candid and genuine.

The same goes for you: a response to the OP question would be more interesting.
    You are either missing the point I'm making or just avoiding it.

The reason you are not getting the responses you are looking for is because you are not very nice to people in general. That should be blunt enough for you.

-VR
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 22:55
    @fmf said
    I have been trying to co-opt and distort the conventional meaning of the word "spirituality" [on the Spirituality Forum] for years in seeking to better understand how the same human-spirit-defining capacities result in BOTH theism and atheism.

Not exactly an example of "dictatorship of vocabulary" but an example of pushing back at how a monopoly over a word allows those controlling it to point to the terminology as if it were an example of the substance of what they believe.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 22:58
    @very-rusty said
    The reason you are not getting the responses you are looking for is because you are not very nice to people in general.
    I don't give two hoots if the likes of you and mike69 are interested enough in the topic to respond or not. If you aren't interested in the idea that John Ralston Saul expounded upon, so be it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 22:59
    @very-rusty said
    You are either missing the point I'm making or just avoiding it.
    Yawn.

Any thoughts on the "dictatorship of vocabulary"?
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 23:02
    @fmf said
    I don't give two hoots if the likes of you and mike69 are interested enough in the topic to respond or not. If you aren't interested in the idea that John Ralston Saul expounded upon, so be it.
    From the amount of responses you are getting it appears more than myself and mike69 are not interested in commenting on your subject matter.

Have A Great Day!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree