1. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 21:49
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Normal drinkers don't understand alcoholics, and alcoholics don't understand a normal drinker, meaning how they are able to do it.
    instead of doing it yerself,
    try talking with another alcoholic...
    it's not hard to say, to live a single day,
    until you try to make it stick...
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 22:07
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I usually don't drink beer when I'm doing crafts: much easier just sniffing the glue.
    dude making beer is not only a craft, its science and an art form and you need to do it sober, sniffing glue won help you!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 22:10
    An alcoholic will continue to drink beer until intoxication due to a 'physical malady' in their body. They experience a craving for more and more, that a 'normal' drinker does not. If you can have a few beers, then leave it alone....more power to you. But an alcoholic cannot stop, which could and usually does bring much trouble.
    I think an alcoholic must be in pain and the way they release that pain is to take it out on themselves by consuming alcoholic beverages to excess.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 22:23
    I have admitted to being an alcoholic many times, then denial kicks in....and the attempt to moderate starts again, which usually ends badly. It's a terrible cycle, which I'm sure you can relate to.

I am currently sober, but I fight daily against the 'head games' that are in the mind, that tell me...."one or two won't hurt", and the cycle repeats. I would ...[text shortened]... lcoholics, and alcoholics don't understand a normal drinker, meaning how they are able to do it.
    Yes Sir,
    I do know exactly what you are going through as I've been down that road. I held down a job, so I figured ok I am just having a few social drinks. It wasn't like I was down and out. I had a very good paying job in a management position.

To me alcoholics were derelicts. Was I in for an eye opener my first AA meeting in the mid 1980's. There were Doctors, lawyers, Policeman, fireman, Nurses, even a Judge etc., who I never expected to meet there. This didn't do me much good as I would get in with the ones who didn't really want to quit and be back at it again. I guess I wasn't really ready either.

Finally in 1992 in January I made my mind up I had to do something, it was starting to affect my Job. That was a big red flag for me. I was tired of waking up sick and tired. I quit hanging with all my so-called-friends, who were actually just drinking buddys and made all new friends who didn't drink, not even sociable. Took up playing chess again. Met some great people who are still friends to this day!

It wasn't an easy road. Much in life is hard, but fortunately for me I made it. Many I knew did not unfortunately! I am always here to talk to, anyone can P.M. me, who feel they need someone to talk to, that has been through it.

Regards,
    -VR
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 22:29
    If only I had the strength to quit those delicious Cool Ranch Doritos™
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 23:13
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Yes Sir,
    I do know exactly what you are going through as I've been down that road. I held down a job, so I figured ok I am just having a few social drinks. It wasn't like I was down and out. I had a very good paying job in a management position.

To me alcoholics were derelicts. Was I in for an eye opener my first AA meeting in the mid ...[text shortened]... e can P.M. me, who feel they need someone to talk to, that has been through it.

Regards,
    -VR
    Believe me, I have tried the AA route with no success. My biggest barrier is the "God of MY understanding" concept. The steps teach that only God can help, for our own willpower is not sufficient.
    I believe in God, but my faith and trust that He is interested in MY life and recovery is lacking very much. That attitude leaves me to try again by myself....which always fails.
    I am currently 'stuck', and searching for a way to transform my belief in God, to a solid trust. Steps 2 & 3 seem like a summit I can't reach.

Bravo to you Very Rusty for your 'decision' and success....for today.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 00:33
    Believe me, I have tried the AA route with no success. My biggest barrier is the "God of MY understanding" concept. The steps teach that only God can help, for our own willpower is not sufficient.
    I believe in God, but my faith and trust that He is interested in MY life and recovery is lacking very much. That attitude leaves me to try again by myself....whi ...[text shortened]... a summit I can't reach.

Bravo to you Very Rusty for your 'decision' and success....for today.
    Sir,
    As I said I had no success with AA either. I didn't go through the 10 step program I think it is called either. Just got away from the drinking buddies, kept no booze in the house, and sheer stubbornness & will power.

I can talk to you more in P.M. if you wish. You have to admit you have a problem before you can even begin. If you don't think you have a problem then you don't, in your own mind. Everyone else around can see it, just you can not. I was like that for years.

I am willing to discuss this in P.M. with you anytime you feel comfortable to talk about it. Looks as though you've already admitted you have a problem which is a great start. You may have slip ups, but it is just to take it a day at a time. Now I really hate the smell of any kind of booze.

Regards,
    -VR
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 06:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I don't think that alcohol in a beer is a blight at all. I think its well healthy!
    Says the man who thinks blood transfusions are a sin 🙄
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:017 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Says the man who thinks blood transfusions are a sin 🙄
    wow completely bereft all you could come up with was 'blood transfusions' from a discussion about the health benefits of beer???? I would be pleased if you managed to keep a lid on your religious bigotry if you don't mind because you are ugly enough without it. I suspect that the most recent case in India where 2,234 persons were infected with HIV might have preferred a cool and healthy craft beer instead, but thats just my crazy way of thinking. 🙄

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/bad-blood-2234-get-hiv-after-transfusion/article8668805.ece
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:09
    For them?
    Against them?
    Neutral?

Please cast your vote.
    Comments welcomed.

My vote......Against!
    I think they make a nice couple and will have beautiful children
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:413 edits
    I suspect that the most recent case in India where 2,234 persons were infected with HIV might have preferred a cool and healthy craft beer instead, but thats just my crazy way of thinking.
    The "most recent case"? What a strange turn of phrase for 2,234 instances of infection over a period of 17 months spread across a country with 1,252,000,000 people and somewhere in excess of 15,000 hospitals.

To talk about such stats over such a long period and involving so many people and so many institutions as the "most recent case", sounds rather deceptive, robbie. Were you hoping that no one would look at the article?

That anyone should contract HIV from a blood transfusion is, of course, terrible and scandalous. But according to the Times of India, annually, across the country, there are 234,000,000 major operations, 63,000,000 trauma-induced surgeries, 31,000,000 cancer-related procedures and 10,000,000 pregnancy related complications requiring blood transfusions.

How many lives were saved by these blood transfusions? How many of the 2,234 who contracted HIV nevertheless had their lives saved by the transfusion they were given?

Pretending that the 2,234 were a "recent case" rather than, statistically speaking [when you consider the scale of blood use nationwide] them being a far, far less dramatic thing [which is what they were] - tragic as they may have been - and while never, ever conceding that blood transfusions save people's lives - makes you sound like a paid-by-the-sleight-of-hand corporate propagandist rather than someone with a genuine interest in health issues related to blood transfusions. 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:522 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    The "most recent case"? What a strange turn of phrase for 2,234 instances of infection over a period of 17 months spread across a country with 1,252,000,000 people and somewhere in excess of 15,000 hospitals.

To talk about such stats over such a long period and involving so many people and so many institutions as the "most recent case", sounds rather decepti ...[text shortened]... t rather than someone with a genuine interest in health issues related to blood transfusions. 🙂
    sorry but I have no interest and infinitely better things to do than enter into a futile and protracted discussion with someone that knows practically nothing about the issues and has a belief in nothing but his own propaganda. Perhaps you have mistaken me for someone that reads your content?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:541 edit
    sorry but I have no interest and infinitely better things to do than enter into a futile and protracted discussion with someone that knows practically nothing about the issues and has a belief in nothing but his own propaganda. Perhaps you have mistaken me for someone that reads your content?
    This instant retort of yours doesn't address anything I said in my post about blood transfusions in India - a topic you raised.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:553 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    This instant retort of yours doesn't address anything I said in my post about blood transfusions in India - a topic you raised.
    perhaps you have mistaken me for someone that reads your content? I can assure you bigdoghouse's script takes excellent care of your content.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 07:57
    perhaps you have mistaken me for someone that reads your content?
    You suddenly mentioned a statistic about HIV cases in India. I replied to your post with some contextual statistics and some food for thought for you. You must have read it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree