1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '17 13:26
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    If that was the goblins' dungeon, wait until Thorin arrives, then get him to open the window, carry you, go through the window. Don't forget to pick up Gollum's ring elsewhere in the caves.
    If it was the elven king's dungeon, wait until the butler opens the door, then just leave wearing the Ring, and jump onto one of the barrels he keeps throwing thro ...[text shortened]... er seen Eugene's Lair. Never played MM past the first level, even. Not my thing for some reason.
    Where were you 30 years ago?! (From memory it was probably the goblins' dungeon, though I don't think Thorin ever turned up).

About 15 years ago, on a whim, I tried to fire up my old Spectrum 48K, but alas, no life in the old friend.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Oct '17 14:291 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Ah, I remember those days well. (Though had a Spectrum 48k myself).
    No Sinclair Spectrum, no RedHotPawn.

(I taught myself to program on a ZX81, then shortly after, a Spectrum. Still have them, all working. Thanks Clive!)
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    09 Oct '17 16:04
    nothing will ever replace bells , chimes and sounds of pin ball machines
    3 games for a quarter or 10 cents a piece
    I can still hear the clack, clack, clack as the games are awarded for good play
    ashtrays with smoking cigs on the glass
    cursing galore
    TILT!
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '17 17:24
    Originally posted by @russ

(I taught myself to program on a ZX81, then shortly after, a Spectrum. Still have them, all working. Thanks Clive!)
    Thank goodness sir you didn't have a Commodore 64. RedHotPawn would still probably exist, but offer mostly on-line karate and Wizball.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 00:40
    What's the most popular game?

Without googling , i'm going to guess the most popular CONSOLE game (highest selling) is GTA"san andreas" on the ps2. I know ps2 sold the most consoles worldwide by a bit, and GTA'san andreas' is surely one of it's best sellers.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 07:11

If it hadn't been for Uncle Clive, I wouldn't have been into
    * computers
    * text adventures
    * Tolkien and Pratchett
    * Chaucer
    * other English literature
    * the English language
    and would probably have had a different career as well.

And let's not forget all his technical men and women. Steve Vickers, Jim Westwood, John Grant, and later Jan Jones... great influences on my life, all of them.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 08:44
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Where were you 30 years ago?! (From memory it was probably the goblins' dungeon, though I don't think Thorin ever turned up).

About 15 years ago, on a whim, I tried to fire up my old Spectrum 48K, but alas, no life in the old friend.
    30 years ago? Reading ZX Computing and Crash, probably.

Your Speccy may not work, but you can get some of the same feeling from an emulator. ZX Spin is good. For software, see World of Spectrum.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 08:53
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel

Without googling , i'm going to guess the most popular CONSOLE game (highest selling) is GTA"san andreas" on the ps2. I know ps2 sold the most consoles worldwide by a bit, and GTA'san andreas' is surely one of it's best sellers.
    Pretty sure GTA V sales' dwarf those of SA.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 09:22
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    30 years ago? Reading ZX Computing and Crash, probably.

Your Speccy may not work, but you can get some of the same feeling from an emulator. ZX Spin is good. For software, see World of Spectrum.
    A bit of Spectrum nostalgia - That "Russ" on the title screen .😏

YouTube
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 15:23
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel

Without Googling, I'm fairly sure the highest selling console was the Nintendo Wii, as surprising as that sounds, since it didn't have many third-party games. One major reason for it's success was due to Wii Sports. The console was incredibly popular not only with families that had young children, with elderly citizens. Wii consoles were even popular with group homes, as a way to get their residents to exercise. Consequently, Wii Sports became the highest-selling game.

Again, this is without Googling if it's still the highest-selling, though I doubt any game has done better than that.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Oct '17 22:25
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Pretty sure GTA V sales' dwarf those of SA.
    ? I'm going to google soon
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 15:56
    A bit of Spectrum nostalgia - That "Russ" on the title screen .😏

[youtube]wOJ5CLzoqac[/youtube]
    Pity WoS don't have permission to distribute the TZX.

Are these the same Russ?
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002928
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001428

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree