do you think yahoo mail was hacked yesterday?

do you think yahoo mail was hacked yesterday?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Trev33
Master of all knowledge, I'm flattered but no.

You wouldn't believe what some people are capable of with a computer... for all you know someone could be looking at your screen right now. Highly unlikely unless you work for MI6 but possible.

Banks have been hacked, police files hacked... the FBI has been hacked. I Don't have the first clue how they do i ...[text shortened]... ivious to the fact that everything they do can be monitored and stolen is a little beyond naive.
Of course.

But the fact remains that 99.9% of the time, hacking is much simpler (and opportunistic) than most people realize. A good router and anti-virus (and not going to shady websites, the point of most 'phishing', another opportunistic method) will stop most of it. As will changing your router password from 'admin' to something better.

'Could be' does not equal 'is'. Time invested goes up (as does risk to the hacker) when suspected value is higher. This is why most people need not be concerned *most* of the time. What people have on their computers is usually only 'high value' to themselves. Again, there is the 1 out a thousand where it is useful to someone else, but it's a bit like a needle in a haystack. And yes, many people consider themselves the 'needle', but chances are, they're just more 'hay'.

Australia

Moves
29 Dec 13

I wouldn't bother with ordinary individuals if I was a hacker, I'd go after organisations where serious money is accessible if you have the hacking talent.

On the other hand, $80 collected from each gullible phishing victim could amount to quite a bit, since there are millions of those out there ...

Moves
29 Dec 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Of course.

But the fact remains that 99.9% of the time, hacking is much simpler (and opportunistic) than most people realize. A good router and anti-virus (and not going to shady websites, the point of most 'phishing', another opportunistic method) will stop most of it. As will changing your router password from 'admin' to something better.

'Could b ...[text shortened]... And yes, many people consider themselves the 'needle', but chances are, they're just more 'hay'.
While I don't disagree with you there are simple things that people don't think about. The main thing in my opinion is using public wifi, no one gives a crap about your facebook account or whatever most of the time but if you start using internet banking etc... good luck.

I've had my email account hacked a few times while abroad and my contacts sent random spam.

While it is entirely possible for your home computer to be hacked I agree it's pretty unlikely unless you do something stupid and give an amateur hacker an opportunity.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Dec 13

Originally posted by Trev33
While I don't disagree with you there are simple things that people don't think about. The main thing in my opinion is using public wifi, no one gives a crap about your facebook account or whatever most of the time but if you start using internet banking etc... good luck.

I've had my email account hacked a few times while abroad and my contacts sent random ...[text shortened]... e it's pretty unlikely unless you do something stupid and give an amateur hacker an opportunity.
Totally agreed, checking email on public wi-fi is just asking for it, and forget about internet banking on public wi-fi, that's just nuts. Still, though, it affirms what I was saying that most hacking is just figuring out a way to get someone's password. It ain't rocket science.

I usually only use public wi-fi when I'm away from home and want to Google something or get an address. (Even then, I'd rather use startpage.com)

Moves
29 Dec 13

Totally agreed, checking email on public wi-fi is just asking for it, and forget about internet banking on public wi-fi, that's just nuts. Still, though, it affirms what I was saying that most hacking is just figuring out a way to get someone's password. It ain't rocket science.

I usually only use public wi-fi when I'm away from home and want to Google something or get an address. (Even then, I'd rather use startpage.com)
Common sense is all it takes...really...common sense. You know that organ between your ears? Use it.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
29 Dec 13

But it is not hacking behavior. It is behavior to help reduce hacking.

Even online games log you out if you don't move your mouse once in a while.
agreed if we talk hours anmd not seconds. I was not able to open the first mail and was logged out.

We are not all n00bs you know.