1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 04:411 edit
    {or the 21st century equivalent - cold calling by telephone or SMS}

1. Would you buy anything - goods, religion, subscriptions, double-glazing, anything at all - from someone using this method?
    2. Would you assume the product can't be good enough to sell well through more acceptable channels?
    3. Would you invite them inside your home for discussion, at least?
    4. Would you threaten to set the dogs on them, or close the door without saying anything? {abuse them and hang up, or just hang up without saying anything}
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 05:00
    Originally posted by Kewpie

1. Would you buy anything - goods, religion, subscriptions, double-glazing, anything at all - from someone using this method?
    2. Would you assume the product can't be good enough to sell well through more acceptable channels?
    3. Would you invite them inside your home for discussion, ...[text shortened]... oor without saying anything? {abuse them and hang up, or just hang up without saying anything}
    1. Maybe. The problem of the salesperson is that they would have to have quite the right product and a friendly manner. Both I seldom found in door-to-door salespersons.
    2. Depends on product. What exactly is a better channel? TV?
    3. Depends again. I did discuss biblical teaching with witnesses of Jehova and they never came back...
    4. Only to the most offensive. Example: IN Germany one method is that people say they want to do a survey. It is about giving youth offenders new chances. Then they coe out with bringing you into a moral trap by telling you you could do that now by buying a abonnement. I ask people asking to take part in a survey if their aim is to sell something later on. If they deny and came out still with it I wbecame quite angy and told them that I found the method to lie to a person an offense in itself, what angered the salesperson....
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 05:16

3. Would you invite them inside your home for discussion, ...[text shortened]... oor without saying anything? {abuse them and hang up, or just hang up without saying anything}
    I never buy anything on the doorstep, especially religion.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 05:19

I don't buy from people at the door. I have talked with some of the religious people but those who have read my stuff on the Spirituality forum know how frustrating that was for them. 🙂
  5. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 10:06
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I don't buy from people at the door. I have talked with some of the religious people but those who have read my stuff on the Spirituality forum know how frustrating that was for them. 🙂
    Release the hounds.
  6. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I never buy anything on the doorstep, especially religion.
    In my opinion, if you buy religion on the doorstep or anywhere you're probably already going to hell.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:17
    Originally posted by Kewpie2. Would you assume the product can't be good enough to sell well through more acceptable channels?
    How was stuff sold before those "more acceptable channels" graced us with their existence?
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:36
    I might buy a door
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:36
    Originally posted by apathist
    How was stuff sold before those "more acceptable channels" graced us with their existence?
    I remember the "van man" with the goods that none of the local shops sold, but I can't remember back before shops - can you?
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    10 Jun '13 23:54

i answer the door neked holding my shotgun like a riding horse...

ALWAYS works...
  12. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 00:31
    Nothing bought from door to door except for the lady down the street who sells fresh eggs and her daughter who sells Girl Scout cookies.

There is just too much scam associated with door to door. The two favorites around here are: "We have left-over asphalt from a job, can we re-do your driveway?" and "We have some packaged meat that a store didn't want. I'll make you a great deal on it." They get what ever cash they can squeeze out of you and leave you with an inferior product or worse, nothing at all.

Of course, never invite a stranger who shows up at your door into your home.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 01:341 edit
    We used to get the asphalt guys, but not since we got a real asphalter to lay real asphalt. 🙂 Hardly any nowadays since we moved out of town, they don't like walking the length of our driveway and the houses are a long way apart.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree